Seriously, Hilton?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by WhiteDesert, Jul 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, Hilton? I've been in your properties enough in the last five weeks that I've experienced hotel haze* twice, and you're really telling me that the only place where I've found an iron that did what I needed it to do** was a Sheraton? Really?

Well, okay, then.
    *That phenomenon where you repeatedly walk up to the room which is stamped with the number from the previous night, instead of the current, correct room (in extreme cases of this you might actually stab your key card into the reader several times, wondering why the damn machine won't work (cursing technological advances the entire time)).

**I rolled in home from a week long meeting last night at midnight EST, and then checked into a Sheraton for tomorrow's meeting at about 4pm EST. For several reasons, I wasn't able to dry clean anything that I needed for tomorrow, so I simply ironed a couple of jackets and shirts when I got here. These items had been worn for full meeting days and then subsequently packed for the trip home. When I pulled them out this afternoon, they looked like I had driven over them repeatedly with an armored personnel carrier. I needed them "wearable" by 08:00 tomorrow morning. So I pulled out the iron and got to work. In 20 minutes flat, I had knocked out two shirts, two jackets, and a pair of dress pants. They are all ready to go. They don't look like they're freshly cleaned, but they'll suffice for this meeting where I don't really have a major role. They do not look like I just carried them across the continent after putting them to service in a previous meeting. The Hilton properties I reference above were HGI's, DoubleTrees, and Hiltons. They were all "business" hotels. And I became very familiar with the irons is all of the rooms I was assigned. I'm extremely confident that none of those irons would have been up to the task I had this afternoon (they were barely up to their normal duties). I stay in Hilton properties more often than Starwood properties, and I have long been aware that the irons in Hilton rooms pretty much suck. I hadn't previously noticed this discrepancy between the two chains, but now I'm curious and will be paying attention. If this is a real pattern, Hilton, than SPG is eating your lunch on this particular axis.

2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just one of the reasons I've switched my allegiance from Hilton to SPG. Better service, better amenities, more comfortable. Irons at Hilton properties suck IMO.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Yeah--the data were previously just kind of floating around in my head in an un-assessed fashion, but I do think my experience with Hilton irons over time is that they're kind of crappy (this hypothesis is super scientific, of course).

However, for me, SPG won't get more of my business away from Hilton until they substantially increase their footprint* and reduce their price point a bit. I see neither of these things happening soon.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and webdes03 like this.
  4. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Also, did I really just create a thread complaining about irons in hotel rooms? I'm not even sure "first world problem" properly covers this.

5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I primarily find myself in larger cities, so SPG usually has something. Surprisingly though, we're going to BUF in a few weeks to visit my girlfriend's family, and short of Niagara Falls properties, SPG has NOTHING in downtown (or near downtown) Buffalo. We're doing a night at the falls with an SPG property... then switching to a DoubleTree for the rest of the trip.

On the flip side, last year we stayed at an almost brand new Aloft in the middle of nowhere Virginia. I think the SPG footprint is growing, though it's not quite there yet.

My corporate office in just north of Atlanta, and we previously stayed at either a Hampton Inn or HGI... until we discovered a newly remodeled Sheraton directly across the street from the office that agreed to match our Hampton and HGI rate. #NoBrainer

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.