Serious Routing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by AdamAlex, Jun 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Is there a place and do people do serious luxury routes. Ones that tackle serious issues like the North South Divide in the USA.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you talking about??

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh?

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too confused :( If two islands in the Caribbean crow flight from each other have to connect in the US, it is a luxury route in my books.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A luxury tour of civil war and reconstruction historical sites?

6. I was thinking more of Andrew Jackson Tour as well but civil war sounds good.

mattsteg likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How important is the "luxury" aspect? I'd suggest to visit destinations that interest you, and go with whatever accomodations are available/suitable for this sort of trip.

8. I am looking at Paris but was wondering if serious trips have any place in the modern world

9. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to make my serious routing every day that i ll follow it tomorrow.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're asking about tours that focus on serious issues, some university alumni associations offer them. Look for ads in alumni magazines. Sometimes this takes the form of a group on a cruise ship with lectures by experts on a theme that relates to land excursions. Sometimes there are inexpensive classes on campus, but the tours themselves aren't particularly cheap in general, but many perceive them to be good value if your interests mesh with the topics being offered.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have seen them with various topics. The ones I have seen are mostly currently political topics. Unfortunately I do t recall the name of the cruise and am not where I generally keep that paperwork. But I'll keep thinking. Don't give up as they so exist.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some charitable organizations also offer "serious" tours. For political issues, try the World Affairs Council. Sometimes art museums and orchestras/operas organize tours, but these are primarily marketed to their donors and again can be expensive. A mandatory donation can be included as part of the price. I've even seen serious restaurants organize foodie tours. Top department stores like Nieman Marcus (which IIRC has some sort of a travel agency for its InCircle folks) sometimes offer cultural luxury tours. There are also some educational foundations that offer tours but these can be all over the place, from serious studies for adult general learners and often university accommodations all the way to obvious for-profit ripoffs.

13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread seems to have deviated into another area, but I thought that OP was looking more for a serious trip involving something that was not mainstream but that still had full service luxury.

Around this neck of the woods, Ive know of a Bespoke Travel Organization that has a 4/5 day program that will take you across the Andes, usually starting from Mendoza and ending in Chile, it covers various aspects as you not only have the "beyond and far away" aspect of coming down close to the end of the world, and then you have the Historical Angle (the trip can include most of the route that Jose de San Martin used to cross this mountain range in his liberation of most of todays South American Nations), and then you have the luxury angle because the logistics include a battalion of horses/mules and staff that give you all the comfort you can imagine, etc. etc.

I need to dig up the service provider for this, but I once had dealing with these guys.... they are a we can do everything type outfit that includes catering a full 7 course lunch at 3000m with helicopter catering.

If something like this could be of interest let me know and I will see what I can do....