Sequestration-related delays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Apr 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy crap that didn't take long...

3-4 hour delays at LAX, 1-2 hour delays at NYC area airports due to "STAFFING"

I'm sure glad I'm not going anywhere for another 3 weeks.

sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew into EWR early afternoon, no delay (on Commutair which is often delayed). Onward connection to BOS, delayed just under half hour, all in all not a bad trip through EWR today.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    image.jpg

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah they're showing 3 hours now due to staffing. I wonder what that's going to look like come tomorrow, when people start moving around.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrived at LAX at about 9:30 Sunday night with no delays. Must have just missed the drama.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I correct in believing that the delays will primarily be with getting through TSA once at airport? (that arriving & transiting really are not going to be the issue at major airports)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way the FAA is playing with things, they're working hard to make sure the impact is as bad to the traveling public as possible. They don't have to, but that's politics for you.

Almost all of the 47k FAA employees would have to be furloughed one day per two week pay period, and some even two days.

mrredskin, mht_flyer and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe staffing delays affect the TSA and ATC. They say the average delay would be around 50 minutes. The FAA has warned some delays could be as long as 3 and a half hours.
    The FAA also warned of ground stops to compensate for the 10 percent automatic sequestration staffing cuts. :mad:

viguera likes this.
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lets just hope a Senator or Rep has their flight delayed for hours so then can see that acting like children has real effects on people. (Not being political, both sides are so busy playing politics they forget their action/inaction has real world effects.)

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long before a plane is delayed 3+ hours on the tarmac and is then subject to the fines?

12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    The words "flight canceled" are popping into my head for some reason.

hulagrrl210 and viguera like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what's gonna happen... it's cheaper for the airline to cancel the flight and deal with the aftermath -- and probably find a way to blame the FAA -- than deal with this problem on the ground, or worse burn through fuel in a holding pattern then have to divert because of delays at the arrival end.

mrredskin likes this.
  14. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No reason for ALL of the staff cut days to be on the same day at each airport though. It is absurd that our government is acting the way it is. ::rolleyes::

skyvan likes this.
  15. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It does pose an interesting delema though, the govt fines the airlines for the delay...yet the only reason for the delay is the govt.

basiface and viguera like this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FAA has very wide berth when it comes to how to implement the budget cuts, they just seem to be choosing to make it very painful for the traveling public, which will either backfire terribly OR make a really good point.

Most people don't know that the FAA could make the cuts elsewhere... (NextGen, commercial space transportation, etc). They could leave everyone alone and put their WAAS upgrade on hold, which would cut $3 billion out of their capital investment plan, but that wouldn't show people that they're "suffering" from budget cuts.

mht_flyer likes this.
  17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly the problem. Budget cuts don't mean anyone has to suffer. It just means you have to make hard choices about what's more important.

After my mom retired she complained to me that her financial condition had tightened, and I pointed out that her monthly rent was higher than my entire monthly income. Solution: move someplace cheaper even if it isn't as nice, which she finally did.

skyvan likes this.
  18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see that we're being used as pawns again for another political pissing match. :mad:

mht_flyer and skyvan like this.
  19. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Solution: Get rid of TSA and keep ATC

20. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoping the airlines' lawsuit is taken up quickly and that the courts decide in the airlines favor quickly, mostly so I don't have to deal with delays on Thursday en route to FTU.

mht_flyer likes this.
  21. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of the cuts aren't on the same day. Each individual facility is allowed to figure out the best way for that particular facility to roll out the furloughs. They have to get each employee done once every two weeks. LAX was already understaffed before any of this so that's why their delays are so high and immediate. Not speaking for them but I can only ASSUME that larger facilities will furlough as many controllers as they can on weekends and midnight shifts because that's when their traffic volume is lowest. (Which really sucks because we get paid more to work Sunday so that's an even larger pay cut on top of the 10% for the furloughs.) So the weekend delays could get pretty high.

That being said, I do agree that it's absurd that our elected officials on both sides of the aisle can't come to a compromise on these budget issues. I believe once the companies that support them start losing money and complaining they'll feel the heat to get it done.

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. TANSTAAFL.

23. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only LA area airports with delays last night were ONT and LAX. It seems likely that there were excessive persons taken off the schedule at LAX last night. 3 hours arrival delays are ridiculous and can't be tolerated here every day.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX just popped up again with 2 hours due to staffing.

There's no winning though, even during late nights you'll have problems because of international flights arriving.

25. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    huh?:confused: