Seperate PNR's: What to worry about?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Sep 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking about booking a flight for the wife and I

ORD - FCO, CDG - ORD

I am thinking about booking us on seperate PNR's so that I can use mileage for her ticket and pay for mine (I want the EQMs).

I've never done this before... what can possibly go wrong? Can I just choose seats next to each other and be all good?

deant likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In theory, if schedules change that involve rebooking on another flight, you could end up on separate flights. Probably unlikely given the flights you have and quite likel fixable with a call to reservations. A lot of people book separate PNRs for a variety of reasons, e.g., to increase upgrade chances or because one passenger has to fly one leg earlier or later or because one pax has to use a corporate travel agent. Or your reason.

You should be able to pick seats next to each other, even in E+ if you are both Gold. Not sure what the rules are for the various elite levels to bring non-premier members into E+ but it would involve a call to reservations and presumably ongoing monitoring to make sure the non-elite doesn't get swept out (unless they now have some sort of flag they can set to avoid sweeps?).

3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I don't mind monitoring the flights... but my wife will kick me if we end up on two separate flights across an ocean.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Please note the typo I just fixed in my post. It's probably unlikely that that happens.

8MiHi and Phorever like this.
  5. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:

Well your typo changes things :)

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, iPadding during breakfast, probably unwise. ;)

7. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries.. Appreciate the help

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better than while driving. :)

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to note that elite member's free baggage allowance extends to those on the same PNR only.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have done exactly what you are planning to do many times. I have been able to get her super-saver awards on a separate PNR but only at the cost of a (slightly) higher ticket cost for me. This has been true for EWR-LHR and EWR-HNL flights. Then they have occasionally moved our seat reservations around, but never our flights. As a MM my wife gets to be Gold so getting E+ seats for both of us was easy. The biggest problem I see for you may be sorting out E+ seating at check-in. You may not be eligible to move up and get her the companion E+ upgrade without the intervention of actual human beings somewhere along the line.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's a great point.

Lord knows if only one of us have e+ I'll be sitting with my knees in a seat, lol

8MiHi likes this.
  12. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Award tickets get the status of the account the miles come from, right? If so (and if Phorever is using miles from his account to get the ticket for his wife) then both of them would effectively have his Premier status, even if they're on different PNRs.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you split them out, the person without status loses some of the features online (namely E+ for free). So if you're Gold or above and place yourself and the other person in E+, then split the PNR, they'll stay in that E+ seat and get Premier Access for boarding and whatnot, but any changes you make to their E+ seat will have the website attempt to collect the E+ seat fee. Calling in usually works around this.

14. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Thanks

15. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you misunderstood Phorever's question. He's not asking about booking together and then splitting the PNR. He's asking about booking separately: buying a ticket for himself, and using miles for his wife's ticket.

16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP shows as silver elite. The original reservation cannot be in E+. When they check in, one of them may not be eligible to move up for free if they set up their reservations as stated. This is where humans may be needed to help.

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This way is one way to be eligible for E+ for both at check-in.