[Sep 23, 2012] Come Visit the House of Miles! (Colorado Springs, CO)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by wijomas, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

Come Visit the House of Miles!
Start Date: Sep 23, 2012 09:00 AM
End Date: Sep 23, 2012 07:00 PM
Time Zone: America/Denver -06:00 MDT

1930 Frequent Flyer Point
Colorado Springs, CO

Posted By: wijomas

Confirmed Attendees: 16
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Following the once in a life time Come Fly With Ryan Bingham DO, all of the participants are invited to join me, Ryan Bingham, on a day trip to Colorado Springs, CO - the home of the House of Miles!

We've cleared it with the big boss Randy Petersen who says, "if he wasn't going to be there, he is now"! The only question he has for you all is: whaddayawant for lunch?

So, please post here if you can make it to the WORLD famous House of Miles on Sunday, Sep 23!

We have a special group rate from American Airlines for this event, for those that are in DFW following the Ryan Bingham DO (or anyone that wishes to start in DFW):

2243N 23SEP S DFWCOS SC12 905A 955A HRS /E
    1320N 23SEP S COSDFW SC12 440P 730P HRS /E

Rate: $239 + taxes ($38.03) + service fee ($25.00)

If you wish to take advantage of this group rate (space is limited!), you must send me a conversation by no later than 5pm CST on June 27 that includes:
    • Your full name
    • Your AAdvantage number
    • Your email address
    • Your phone number
    A $75 non-refundable deposit will be required to confirm your seat. Payment of the remainder will be due by 5pm CST on Aug 17.

See you in Colorado!

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only enough time for a visit to the house of miles and lunch?

jbcarioca and aptraveler like this.
  3. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about Randy today, with Colorado Springs again in the news. "Come for the hailstorms, stay for the wildfires." Next week, locusts and bubonic plague. My sympathies. I'll be bringing canned goods.

desamo, jbcarioca, zphelj and 4 others like this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, and all of his great friends from Milepoint coming to visit and support him will no doubt bring an even bigger grin to that face that never stops grinning, even during the terrible times such as the stuff he's been going through lately.

5. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially since we wouldn't be staying the night and he would be able to watch us leave again the same day.

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sad there is no way for me to find a way to join in this fun. Sounds like a great day. I'll waive West as I fly ICT - IAH that day. ;)

7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, sorry we'll miss you :(

8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just started a convo w/ya!:)

9. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Can you sign up for the Sunday travel without the doing the Sat travel? It is possible to travel DCA-DFW-COS-DFW-DCA in the same day and be on the DFW-COS flights.

2. Also - it is possible to get the DFW-COS-DFW onlly flights cheaper than your quote - with discounts and Costco gift cards and no service fee.

3. Is it possible to do part of Saturday travel (on own ticket) - hook up along the way?

FriendlySkies and jbcarioca like this.
  10. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    As much as we all like a deal... when a company makes an effort to extend special consideration to a group, we as members of that group should support that company and their generosity!

11. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price is not much difference for DFW-COS.

The questions are more - can you do partial participation. ie. On Sunday Sept 23 - can you participate if you fly DCA-DFW-COS, and COS-DFW-DCA in one day - departing at 6am and you get home at 1am. Hence you would have to get your own ticket for the through fares from DCA.

I think wijomas indicated not to ticket positioning until other flights were defined - hence - there might be a better fare. So not clear that it is necessary to book through the group fare.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the spirit of the challenge & the RB endeavor, I sincerely hope that everyone participating in any of these events is or will be a MP Kiva team member!:)

13. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:

Granted, you weren't asking me;

Very important: you're a CK member now, can't you do whatever your want? ....and I really want to see which CK gets the better service.

1a. Looks that way; as there are two separate meetups defined. 1b. I think wijomas is saying anyone is welcome at COS, regardless of how you get there (assuming Mr. Peterson agrees of course)

2. I don't have much of an opinion on this one. I get that DCA-DFW-COS-DFW-DCA is cheaper than nesting the COS trip into a separate DCA-DFW-DCA trip, but I'm sure you asked the question for a good reason.

3. Strictly my opinion. Why not, if another Milepointer happened to be transiting OMA, ORD, or MIA on that day, would this group chose to shun them? That clearly isn't what the community is about.

Is that what happened here? Did Suzanne or another AA person provide a special deal, or is this more or less normal group rate discounts? And if the same itinerary is currently available to the public for less money, clearly our group didn't get a special deal.

Most important:

If you do book a ticket for any of the same flights outside of group sales, you are required to wait until after or group sales orders are processed, paid, and available on our AAdvantage accounts before you click "request upgrade"

14. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and I've signed up... I think. I sent some $$$ via paypal to someone I think is wijomas.

jbcarioca, William JLP and wijomas like this.
  15. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry to see that you are suffering some memory issues in such a short time frame!:eek::(

16. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well as he stated, you can get a cheaper rate with Costo Gif Certificates, and discount codes... so no not really a lower fare, just "gaming the system". Whether someone from AA helped get this arranged, other whether it was normal group fares, I don't know. But my original comment still stands. Its kind of like taking your own popcorn into the movie theatre... all though technically not in violation of any federal statutes (but I am not a lawyer, so it very well could be) its not in the "spirit" of how everything is supposed to work!

17. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that was because the itinerary and dates were still subject to change, and he didn't want anyone getting mad at him if the plans changed!

18. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it would be outside the spirit of how things work to book the exact same DFW-COS-DFW flights on a paid itinerary if those flights were the only ones the traveler needed (i.e. they live in the DFW area). On the other hand, from what I can see based on on current fares Cova would stand to save over $500 by booking DCA-COS-DCA, which would include the same flights covered in the group rate between DFW and COS. If that's what he was asking about I don't think that would run afoul of how things are supposed to work.

aptraveler, William JLP and jbcarioca like this.
  19. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem with that... nor his 1st and 3rd questions... it is the 2nd one that I was referring to...

20. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:

1. You can book the flights however you like, the group fare was just an attempt to make things easier :)

2. As above

3. Absolutely :)

21. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I fully support the saving of teh monies where possible! :p

22. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got that fake Nigerian paypal email too? :D

23. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are still 4 seats available on the group fare. I took the plunge and decided to hold them anyway, but grab them fast!

24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will probably attend the meetup at House of Miles, but I won't be taking the group fare from DFW (or at least I'll book it separately as part of an itinerary from SEA).

aptraveler, IDGflygirl and wijomas like this.
  25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

Wait, aren't you supposed to be working hard on your thesis?!? ;)