[Sep 04 to 07, 2015] Cow Do XI - EZE (Buenos Aires)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by Gaucho, Mar 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK Folks.... time to get this Master Thread going. We are up to the eleventh consecutive Cow Do, if my mind isn't failing me this is the second (or third?) longest yearly Do tradition on TOBB.

Based in Buenos Aires (EZE), the Cow do is a friendly & informal gathering of Frequent Flyers (and also non FFers) that blend in the chance to earn a nice amount of miles and hotel points with the opportunity to enjoy lots of Beef and Malbec !!!

As is the norm, we will be having various groups meals, side trips are sometimes arranged, and there will be one or two charity events to raise money for remote rural area schools that operate in remote locations of the Province of Misiones (in Northern Argentina). More details to follow as we gather momentum and folks start to sign up... [​IMG]

Please post your interest here and please do consider putting this event on your travel Calendar/Radar. For those that begin fare hunting, make sure to post here to alert others on those special fares you find, its a nice way to boost the community spirit and allow others to join in on the fun. I will be sending out friendly notification messages to those MPers that have in the past attended this event, and also to those that at some point expressed an interest and perhaps never made it down.... having dug deep into the archives of previous Do's as far back as 2008, please forgive me if you receive more than one notification, a handle or another may slip by me more than once... :D

iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count me in please, assuming the final dates can be made to work.

For those coming from the US, there are some quite spectacular deals at the moment on everybody's favorite (oops, NOT) airline Aerolineas Argentinas. Example RT MIA-EZE leaving the 20th-returning April 10, $447.00. Not only that you can collect your SkyPesos or FB miles. There are plentiful changes for low awards on SkyTeam member airlines also.

This should be a great event! Even though I do not consume cow I will be quite happy so long as we can find at least a couple of those great Italian places that serve superb Conigilio. My tastebuds are already prepared.

BTW, I hear a rumor that some great deals on fine Argentine wine can be had this year...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent JC......... I would expect that AR also has some sales for J travel, which will probably not be great in terms of the incremental service, but maybe the bonuses for the J fare will mean something in SkyPesos...???

Not to worry about your Cow abstinence, there will be plenty of high-end Ice Cream options for you to test..... :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel prices in dollars seem to be way up. Any ideas on whether it's better to pay for the hotel in cash using the blue exchange rate (in early September) versus using points or points and cash?

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the last few years, the opening lunch has been at an Italian place almost on the water in Recoleta. We've also done grilled pizza for a casual dinner one night, in the Soho area.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cant comment on hotel prices, you will be the best judge of that, but the pesos cash payment is certainly still possible. I think that getting a confirmed reservation with a good cancellation policy is the best way to go, that will give you a post paid rate that you can work with on the pesos and still get you the stay credits you need for status, etc. etc.

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as is the norm, aside from the various Cow-centric events, I will still have options for those that don't consume cow..... so rest assured that those attending the events even at a Parrilla will not have to starve. As long as you are not a strict Vegan you will be fine.... ;D

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Gaucho please add Susan (my wife) and myself to the list.

Our awards are booked. AA down arrive at 10:13 AM Friday (but no time for Centurion lounge in DFW) and UA back on Tuesday at 9 PM, economy all the way...

I probably will miss a two meals or wine tastings when I'm at dialysis on either Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday, but Susan will partake in my absence.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent.... I need to start a list of folks that sign up over here, as it seems than some that participate here are not on TOBB. Welcome aboard and it will be a great pleasure having you with us this year !!!!

iolaire likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flights booked, I also watch the FT to keep track of what I miss over here. Also excited we can make it this year, I've seen your posts for years. We were in BA in (maybe) 2008 and enjoyed it. This year in Santiago Chile we remembered how much more we enjoyed the food in BA and the overall trip.

Gaucho likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent... happy to have your confirmation.

Anybody else up for this Do.....????

13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump !!!!

14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    bump !!!! anybody else interested in joining ???!!! :D

15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Susan and I are looking forward to this. Did out of town excursions materialize in past years? We would be interested in a Gaucho experience (beyond our experiences with the organizer Gaucho!) or trip to Montevideo.

16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but not on all editions. It depends on what sort of traction within the group can be obtained towards the organization of any given side trip. I suggest you go over on TOBB and post something specific and see what folks respond.

iolaire likes this.
  17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This week someone posted on their blog that Alaska airlines has great award availability on Aeromexico via Mexico City in business class to South America. I checked and its wide open from IAD for these dates, with a six hour layover going down and 10 hours coming home. Might be worth looking at if you need tickets. 45k each way.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are looking forward to our trip next week!