Sending Mail Order Purchases to Hotels - advice please

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Sep 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I of course mean stuff bought Online, but thats mailed to you at a hotel you are staying...... Im looking for some "best practice" tips from those that do this a lot.

I will be having some things Im buying from Amazon sent to me in Chicago (looking to avoid Sales Tax), I have 3 nights at 2 SPG properties, will probably send all the packages to the hotel where Im parking myself for 2 nights.

Some questions....

a) Should I call the hotel first...?
    b) or is email better... to warn them of a package that will be arriving...?
    c) or maybe do both a call and an email...?
    d) Any guidelines to follow when I input the delivery address... should I include "registered guest"...?

Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Alex

_kurt likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check with the hotel first to find what sort of package delivery/storage fees they may charge. Some may take the packages as a courtesy for you, and others may stick you with a bill making the purchase not worth it. I'd have it in writing (i.e., at least an email confirmation of the policy) to avoid nasty surprises, or at least, reversible surprises.

traveltoomuch and Gaucho like this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had Amazon, FEDEX, UPS, USPS Priority Mail packages shipped to various hotels in the U.S. without any problems. I have the shipper address the package to me as "registered guest" and have them mark (either in the second address line or the notation section) HOLD for xx/xx/2012 ARRIVAL.

I have never had a delivery or storage fee applied to my account for this service and I've never alerted the hotel in advance. The hotels all seem to take this in stride.

This is especially useful to those of us who live in Hawaii. We can have things shipped to us when traveling on the mainland at a reduced fee (for those companies that only ship by Fedex or UPS) and bring it back in our checked baggage.

Hope this is helpful.

4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this.... I'd never thought that a hotel would charge me for this but its a good point to figure out before I arrange this.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great post, thanks !!! I had not thought about the HOLD for arrival... thats a good thing to do.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought amazon charges on where you live (aka where the billing address is), not where the delivery address is.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not according to my amazon.com guru .... I will double check with him.

edekba likes this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bigger or fancier the hotel, the more likely they are to try to charge. And they're more likely to charge for a package than a letter. Example: the Hilton Anaheim charged as much as $40 for receiving a piece of luggage and $10 for receiving a small box. A better option might be having something sent to a nearby FedEx/Kinko's or UPS Store, where they might hold a package for no fee.

My usual form of addressing is:
    traveltoomuch
    guest arriving 1 April 2017
    Park Hyatt Babylon

Other than asking about fees, I don't see any need to contact the hotel in advance.

The biggest risk is that the package won't arrive on time (i.e., before you check out).

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been many reports of hotels changing to hold packages and some instances losing them, the best option is stated above find the nearest local UPS or Fedex office at least you will a verifiable/traceable record of exactly where it is.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised no one seems to have added "free package acceptance" to the list of their resort fee "benefits".

12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I think the question that needs to be asked is... what is the SPG policy on this...?

Time to start a new thread....

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would be hotel individual policy. I don't think SPG has a bone in this one.

Gaucho likes this.
  15. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I am sure having it delivered to the hotel is easier, but I've been looking for an excuse to try the Amazon lockers . Maybe another way to receive items in a town you are travelling to but they are not very widespread right now.

Gaucho likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then they couldn't charge Ala carte!

Gaucho likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive started a separate thread on this... will see what the SPG resident expert says....

18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... this is also an option, although hotel reception is of course a lot more convenient. It takes another place to visit off the list of TO DO things which comes in handy when you have hectic business trips....

19. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do I get to play Willaim here?:D
    " its up to the individual property ( and is techincally out of SPG's perview)
    ....notice the comment on the SPG website.... some properties may institute a charge..."

Gaucho likes this.
  20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called the Four Points ORD and they confirmed that they dont charge for this.... :cool: