Senator Pushes Airlines to Add Movie Captions for Hearing Impaired Flyers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Senator Pushes Airlines to Add Movie Captions for Hearing Impaired Flyers

That's a step into the right direction. :)

Jimgotkp, Kalboz, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    maybe I've been flying non-us carriers but don't all IFE have CC options on shows and movies? Is that not the case? I can see those old fashion big screen drop downs may not but is that what he is talking about? I haven't read the article and think it is a good idea but wondering if this is even necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, usually CC aren't offered on carriers right now, it's important that carriers offer CC worldwide in the future IMHO. It's very necessary. It's time that airlines IFE systems step up their game and cater to hard of hearing or deaf people in the future as soon as possible. It's actually hard to believe that carriers around the world haven't earlier seen the need to offer this necessary service. I'm hard of hearing, I'm deaf on one ear and hard of hearing on the other, plus suffer 24/7/365 permanent tinnitus, so it's long overdue they do offer CC captions on every single flight and on every single monitor. :)

Singapore Flyer and Kalboz like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, and the movie studios continue to drag their feet on the topic. There is an industry working group on the topic but they're a total mess.

Singapore Flyer, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's time they clean up the mess. There's no excuse.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are significant technical challenges to be overcome to make it happen and the content owners/producers, IFE providers and airlines all need to agree on standards and what they actually want to provide. Which languages should there be subtitles in? Do you sacrifice more choices for fewer total but with subtitles? How do you render the data onto the screen in a consistent manner which is useful to the viewer (font, color, size, etc.).

It is easy to say "just pick something and go with it" and I've advocated that position in some form or another across many similar topics. But it is not a trivial thing right now.

Kalboz, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must have seen this for years or even decades in the making, it's not that the debate started this morning. Glad you've advocated the issue, but when you don't have hearing problems, or like me, add 24/7/365 tinnitus to this, it's difficult that you can relate to the urgency at hand. I'm pretty sure the industry has solutions, it's like with most things, they have them, but when they believe it doesn't add to their bottom lines, it's not going to happen, advocacy or not. It's not an easy topic for sure, but there isn't an excuse either. IMHO, the last thing the industry needs right now is more people "defending them" or adding "layers upon layers" of excuses, it's time the flyer / consumer gets a break or two. Especially on this issue, which isn't particularly new. Wake up.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and the working group has been operating for years. But they still are nowhere.

I've tried to dig up the story I wrote about it or another more recent one I know was written but neither are online for the public that I can find.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's important to keep this very important debate going, it's maybe not about "miles and points" per se, but it's about decency and understanding what's really needed, especially I believe the technology is available and could be implemented in due time, rather sooner than later. Interesting that your story or another story about the topic isn't accessible online right now, seems that someone doesn't want the public to get "educated" on this very important subject. Thanks WA for pointing this out.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Less about education and more about where and when it was published.

One of the stories was written for a print publication. Another is behind a paywall though I'm guessing it will be public soon.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, it's all about education, but then, education can't eradicate ignorance. Regarding "stories" behind every story there's a human being, it's one like myself who suffers from hard hearing and tinnitus. While this isn't anyone's fault, but it's important that people understand, a lot of people out there waiting urgently for the implementation of CC on all flights worldwide which offer IFE systems. It's not about numbers, it's about people.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how much of a benefit this will really be with the proliferation of tablets & laptops. And I wouldn't be totally surprised for an airline to say, "This is going to be too expensive, we'll just stop offering IFE."

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see this happen. I'm not hearing impaired but I watch all of my movies at home with CC.

Singapore Flyer and uggboy like this.