Senator Markey; Airline greed, not TSA to blame for long lines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ahappyelite, May 17, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    American blaming TSA today saying people are missing flights because of security lines, omitting the fact that it is their/Wall Streets need to pig out on bag fees that is the core reason travel has become a historically hellish ordeal, that also puts travelers at risk as carry ons get a rushed minimal inspection as TSA must do Wall Streets bidding. This greedfest creates hour long boardings, elevates tensions in the cabin and causes injuries and stress to employees. And American and their partners in gutting ff programs -UAL and alienating years long loyal passengers- are seeing their stocks tanking hitting lows recently. Air travel in America is worse than ever and the mergers are a major reason why-this administrations worst anti consumer bungle allowing the hedge funds to usurp the government . Senator Markey deserves credit for recently pointing the finger squarely at the aerocolluders.
    The airlines have also exacerbated this by greedfirst scheduling based on filling all available seats at times convenient to them, customer be damned and by abandoning many hubs and jamming flights through already packed airports such as ord.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't buy it. Lines are awful at WN hubs and they aren't charging the majority of their pax any bag fees.

brodyf, zphelj and alfagirl like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree. People miss some obvious points here when looking for targets to lay blame for the current issues.

brodyf likes this.
  4. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't buy that the lines have anything to do with checked bag fees. I see extremely long lines of people. My guess is more checked bags might clog up the behind the scenes TSA bag screening process.

Seems almost every time I check a bag, it has an "opened and inspected by TSA" flyer inside when I pick it up.

KenInEscazu and Counsellor like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA lagacy airlines initiated checked bag fees long before the horrendous TSA lines problems began late this winter. Hence it doesn't make sense to blame the airlines for what TSA is doing (or failing to do).

Counsellor likes this.
  6. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Incredible the lengths some go to exculpate and cover for Wall Street and the airlines that front for it. Of course the current disgraceful third world embarrassment of modern day air travel is almost entirely the product of short term thinking, algorithms for everything and a destroy the village to produce paper quarterly profits by razing your entire offering mindset. All of this premised on the notion that people have to acquiesce to their take it or leave it model. The composite picture is many will only fly if it is dirt cheap as people recognize airline profits derive directly from making air travel like a tiger cage in Nam. Delta has won high spending biz folk and the others are competing for people they openly disdain and plotted against.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you spend $85.00 extra they have 3 agents waiting.

If not they still have many agents on break, vacation, or at the snack bar.

This is a game, what a TSA agent go to the snack bar,,

They are paid by the hour, not performance and production.,

No problem taking your $85.00, been there,,,

8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KenInEscazu, slalom and Pizzaman like this.
  9. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Who to believe here?
    TSA which acknowledges the problem, takes hard questions, whose top people appear in public. and offer solutions, however imperfect?
    Or the aerogangsteros? An industry that has lied to, deceived, cheated, stranded and ripped off so many and whose leaders are less accessible than the North Korean government. How much of their profit is earned by false pretenses or filched from unsuspecting customers.l? How many times have they been caught red handed glomming money that should have been promptly returned to customers?

When was the last time an airline CEO appeared in public to explain the gruesome mess they've created in the air and on the ground (much less atoned.for.) Instead they selectively leak misinformation to a media that treats them with astounding deference and credulity-the media failing to point out the core issue is jammed airports. Terminals jammed while others are underused post merger, the decline in off hour flights scheduled, and bag fees which delay clearance, endanger the public and make enplaning and de planing longer than some flights.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet I have been flying 150,000 miles per year for the past 20+ years and my overall air travel costs have gone down, my on time arrivals have gone up, and I am treated better by my supplier of choice (AA) the past 5 years than at any other time in my career.

#overlylongsentence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seat6A and slalom like this.
  11. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Wall Street/the airlines appear to have outsmarted themselves. 'We can destroy air travel and gut ff programs and no one will have any choice.' Now, it appears their pricing power is disintegrating. They thought that by creating second, third, and fourth classes people would leap at the chance to buy themselves out of a dreadful seat. This would also be how "first class" would look good-certainly not the food or the demoralized fa's-only in comparison to the unfortunates behind in the hold. (Wonder how many high spending f classers relish the always jammed fc cabins?) Now people just fly frontier or spirit (5th class) and for most it is a dreaded ordeal that ends only when they blessedly clear the front door. Kind of akin to the subprime debacle: maybe we will have Lehman air, Merrill air and RBS Express airlines. Nothing good can come from gratuitously going to war with the customers (useful idiots) who really can, in the final analysis, rain on your algorithms.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might even like the new miles for spend rules. Book a trip to GRU in Business Class instead of doing saturday runs to MIA to make the finish line.