Senator & EXP member lauds vets, gripes at AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Sep 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you going for the understatement-of-the-eon award, David? lol

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't need a pilot sickout when your union brothers in maintenance will help you out.

marcwint55, MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the person who started the thread I tend to agree. I will message MP administrators now and ask them to change it to 'Senator & EXP Member Lauds Vets, Gripes at AA.". Or maybe "Opinionated" Senator, which he certainly is. Trying to retrace my thoughts from when I posted this morning, I guess I was a little stunned that Sen. Rubio seemed to be implying that veterans, freedom lovers and no-sickout all went together. I didn't see the necessary connection even though some of you know I am a huge supporter of the military and its veterans. Just doesn't mean that those who aren't don't love freedom or would sick-out, so I wondered if Mr. Rubio had been awkwardly Tweeting to his base. Even the Dallas Morning News blog writer seems to remark at the senator's odd connection.

So as I was shaking my head at that, I guess I went ahead and added another connection that wasn't necessarily relevant, in the title of the thread. He certainly is a conservative Republican and proud of it, but that may not have belonged in the title. I can't change the title myself but will message admins. I do hope they leave the thread and news link active, just renamed, because I think it is interesting airline-passenger news.

- Keith

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd leave the title as is ...

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I wouldn't get too worked up over it, and knowing you personally I can testify that your politics are much more complex than one would assume simply having read the title. The problem with these online message boards is that we get to build an idea of what we think posters are like, instead of actually knowing them.

Many politicians do this, from both "wings" of our political system. ;)

You take ideas like freedom, liberty, morality, righteousness, etc and you try to make the public believe that people like you inherently represent those ideas in all that you do. Why bother trying to develop a complex, nuanced policy stance when it's much easier to manipulate people in to thinking you're inherently a better person and thus worth supporting?

Another of Rubio's tweets that wasn't included in the story is:

Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 5.18.35 PM.png

I think it's pretty clear he was linking politics to the event. With tweets like the above and those in the article, that much is clear.

So while your title word choice might have been a bit off, it wasn't you who made the issue political, that's all on Senator Rubio.

I do hope we can avoid arguing politics though. Who wants a repeat of that Glen Beck thread? Not me....

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, though it is strange for a Republican Senator to be siding with union labor rather than management.

Sunshine7 and marcwint55 like this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Politicians link politics to EVERYTHING. It's really sickening, and not unique to either party.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if he'd still be siding with them if the pilot wasn't a member of the tea party.

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marco Rubio must be in lala land. I've been a Republican all my life, but I would have trouble voting for someone who talks to a couple of pilots and suddenly knows everything about the situation. His stupid comments are a step above the moron running for senate in Virginia who knows nothing about reproduction.

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget: they are also military veterans. That adds to their integrity.

MX, Sunshine7 and marcwint55 like this.
  13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to ABC News and CNN, while all this was going on last night, "@AmericanAir" Tweeted this back to the Senator. I'm sure THAT made him feel better! Not, lol. :(

@AmericanAir “Thanks for your patience, Marco. We hope you have a great flight.”

14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am 99% sure that he will vote against the Airline Passenger Bill of Rights legislaion if it ever comes before the Senate.