Senator asks airlines to drop seat fee for kids

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, May 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Senator asks airlines to drop seat fee for kids

NOT sure I agree with this...although I do believe parents should be able to sit with their children, especially smaller ones.

I do find it interesting that the article implies more seats designated for Elites creates the problem.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this happens (which I doubt), look for airfares to rise to compensate for the lost revenue. Thanks, Senator Schumer! :rolleyes: :mad:

wrxmom, goalie, ella and 4 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, to some degree, it gets passed on to FF'ers...who "caused" the problem... :rolleyes:

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posted this story on my blog with a poll to vote if people are in favor or not. nearly 90% think that waiving the fees for families is a bad idea. Thankfully there's still some logical people out there!

LETTERBOY, aptraveler and rwoman like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be in favor of this if it meant that all children and their parents, etc. were assigned seats in a special compartment in the rear of the aircraft.

jrp2, MX, desamo and 4 others like this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean like this? :D

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would do, but I hope deodorant is required to ue the treadmills.

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe our politicians should start doing their jobs better before forcing others to do stuff. :rolleyes:

9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    What happens on an airline like Southwest where there are no seat assignments, how do they get them to comply?

One possible solution is to block off child availability in the lowest fare buckets and basically build in the cost there.

10. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, good visual! :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

rwoman, Sean Colahan and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never, ever seen a situation where a parent with a child who appeared to be at/below the unaccompanied age was forced to sit separately from their parents.

Has anyone ever seen young children forced to sit separate from their parents on a flight?

I've been on flights alone with my two kids where our seat assignments were cancelled (despite no change in equipment)....and now no seats together were available. I boarded first. The FA said to take any three seats that I wanted, and she'd sort out the rest. She took care of everything. Other pax, when told kids were separated and that she was re-seating them, did not raise any sort of fuss.

I do wish the carriers would resolve matters like this on the ground, not leaving it to the FA to sort out. In my case, I asked on the ground, and at each step of the check-in process, I was punted to the next area. At check in, the said ask at the club. At the club, they said ask at the customer service desk. At the CS desk, they said ask at the gate. At the gate, they said to ask on board.

LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    With small children I have not seen it. Last year, on a full ATL-LHR flight, a family boarded pretty late in the boarding process. There was a parent or grandparent seated in a middle seat directly behind one of the children who was, maybe, 8 or so.

LETTERBOY and NYBanker like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they ask the FA to be re-seated?

rwoman likes this.
  14. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had to do my own shuffling around more than once. The FA's said to just try to talk other passengers into trading, but did not assist. We got it done, but all three of us were assigned middles in different rows so it was not easy to trade. I'm not sure what the magic right answer to this is, but it is a real issue that seems to just be getting worse with airplanes going out at or near capacity and "reserved" seating sections only on the increase.

15. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    chucky schumer has never met a non-problem problem that the govt couldnt solve. he should probably get bacl to doing the job we the people pay him for including say passing a budget...

16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you figure that! The "creative" revenue generating methods applied now were never a core of the airlines business model. Unless you were born instantly at age 18 years and you will never have any kids, these rules are designed to benefit you and all of us and to curb airlines abuses.

rwoman likes this.
  17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    better yet, let's replace him and he can have all the time he wants to travel and solve problems on the plane he is flying in.

nova, rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have children, but I am always flexible in changing seats if I get comparable: aisle for aisle. It's not that big of a deal to me. A couple of times I've offered before FA even got involved. Traveling with kids has to be stressful enough without added game of seat roulette. But if I'm offered a window or center seat in exchange for my aisle seat, I'm usually not as flexible :)

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Long haul Y on BA. Of course, I've never sat with my husband on those 10-hr flights either.

rwoman likes this.
  20. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok so this is gonna be a stupid question since all of my flights have only been on southwest. If claiming an award ticket on UA do you get to pick your seats? Do they give you the option to pay the fee to sit together?

I have a bunch of UR points saved up that I would like to redeem for flights to Barcelona for a cruise. I don't want to sit on a plane for 9+ hours and not sit next to my wife. I would gladly play the $25

rwoman and Kalboz like this.
  21. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dangr213 - if it's a UA operated flight, take a look at the seat map as you're booking. If you see two seats together, you can book those.

On UA - the gate agent generally has more discretion. If space was available in economy plus, it can easily upgrade one passenger to

I've had the most issues with AA in this regard, especially on their MD80s that are 2 on one side and 3 on the other. I've seen flights were every window/aisle was blocked and just the middle on the 3 side was available. I set up a seat alert using expert flyer and seats did open up toward the back on the 2 side and I just took those. To be fair, the most recent experience was LGA-ORD and most of the hourly flights had seat maps open, but the one where I was traveling with someone who booked separately and needed to be on the fuller flight. Using expertflyer, you can see which seats are booked, vs. simply blocked by the airline.

rwoman, Kalboz and Dangjr213 like this.
  22. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I frankly have no desire for Chuck Schumer to set commercial rules for the airlines. Period.

JetsettingEric, nova, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  23. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. I didn't fly until I was old enough to look after myself for a few hours.
    2. I have no intention of EVER contributing to the population count.
    3. I don't need the government to look out for me, as I am capable of planning my own travels, including the ability to secure seating assignments, if I so desire.

LizzyDragon84, nova, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

JetsettingEric, LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've seen young children separated from their parents (ie: sitting without either parent) on a long-haul BA flight?

rwoman likes this.