Semi-complicated European itn question. Could use your help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine asked me this question... and I bring it to Milepoint for expert advice.

The family (4 of us) are going to Europe next summer.

I need to go from ORD to Athens Greece we will board a cruise and end up in Rome so then I need FCO - ORD

Most of the flights from ORD to Athens stop in London. I wouldn't mind spend a couple of nights there before I head to Athens.
    but I am thinking that will add a lot of cost.

Am I best off booking everything with 1 airline as multi-city or trying to piece together 1 way tickets. It seems to me one way tickets to and from Europe are very expensive but within Europe they are very cheap. The stop over in London seems problematic

Obviously I have plenty of time but not sure when to book this. Obviously on the flights over to Europe I want to make sure I have good seats as we will unfortunately need to fly Economy. I have low level status on AA and UA.

I know this is a lot and somewhat complicated but I would appreciate any direction you could offer.

SC Flier likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would purchase two tickets ...

Ticket 1
    ORD-ATH//LHR-ORD on perhaps UACO which would price as a RT with separate fare components instead of outright one ways...

Ticket 2 FCO-LHR (Just advise against Ryanair from Milan Bergamo)

RichardInSF likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about a round trip to FCO? Might be reasonable to take the train (possibly with a ferry too?) to get from FCO to ATH. I don't know if this mght work out, but it's something to investigate, at least.

4. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because of the UK passenger duty, if they are able to figure out the stopover, be sure to do it on the way there. See lucky's blog post here. This table is for itineraries departing from the UK (not connecting in UK).
    This also means DIG/R_1K's solution will get hit with the duty.

5. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see any compelling reason to book one ways. I see your options as follows:

- Open-Jaw into ATH and out of FCO. This would be simple, and I highly doubt it would be much of a premium. You could also add a stopover in London, likely for very little if you book with AA or BA. But... looking at some random dates in July, the best pricing for an open jaw is coming from some of the more random carriers like Finnair, Turkish, SAS, and LOT. Even if they offered a layover in London at a reasonable price, the logistics would be too much of a hassle, IMO.

- Book a roundtrip into London and one-ways on from there. For paid tickets, I don't think the passenger duty amounts to a hill of beans and London remains usually the cheapest destination to fly to in Europe. Honestly (and I know people are trying to help), I get kind of tired of hearing this tossed out every time someone mentions flying to the UK, because it loses the forest (lowest all-in price) for the trees (the taxes are higher). For example, I looked at a 7/4-7/21 trip, and flying into London is as much as $500 cheaper than flying into and out of FCO, even with the APD. You also have the benefit of decent options for flights to and from ATH and FCO. This option obviously works pretty well if you want a layover on the way over, but may require an overnight (or some risk) on the return.

- Book an open-jaw into LHR and home from FCO. If you are willing to connect in both directions, this can save you some money by booking, for example, Finnair for the open-jaw and then a one-way BA flight to ATH. All in, that looks like it would come in under $1300 per person in July.

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks folks. I've passed along the information. :cool:

SC Flier likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're correct...