Self-Promotion in Posts

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by Captain Oveur, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering what the take is on MP members who create threads who regularly self-promote their own blogs through inclusion of the link within the body of the post.

rwoman, jbcarioca, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No harm. No foul.

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    personally, not big for it being in the body of the post as that space should truly belong to the communication among our members. As for the signature, we see no general harm there as long as the intent is to assist the fellow frequent flyer and there are any number of us who really enjoy reading these other voices. Having said that, it is clear that some need to be more cognizant of the space they are filling in front of our eyes and we'll soon begin counseling just a few on how to make their presence more appreciated by just letting their information be available rather than trying to sell their signature. Subtle changes but easily coached.

Since this is my own take, what's yours? Appreciate any and all feedback.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a link with some thought behind it is fine IMO, while 'see more on the XXX islands (insert link to blog)' is not really MP content and that is what I come to MP for, MP content.

Glad to see some changes.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally prefer to see title that communicate the forum post content, and if you are posting to a blog or news story please include a decent summary. If some takes the time to share a link please take the to to let us know what we will find at the link.

Re: blogs go ahead and share the core content and allow people to click across if one wants more information.

Example (fake). Today I learned of this wonderful credit card, the Chase Saphire, .etc..... Reading around the web I see lots of people have written about it, but I found X which no one else is aware of, all that you need to do to take advantage do it is Y. For lots of details check out my (or some € random blogger's site if it's not your blog).

2soonold, Gargoyle, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the key is to do it in as unobtrusive a way as possible, while still facilitating communication among members. I do it simply by posting this little tag at the beginning of the post:
    After that I post as much of the review as I can so it can be added to the knowledge base, since there are many properties that are not reviewed, and the image limitation can make it harder to capture full reviews of some properties.

I think it could be useful to have some clear cut guidelines on what is the encouraged way to cross-post, and if we really have some people who want to go further in self promotion, maybe have a way in the newsstand where they can have their own blog added to the RSS feed that comprises most of the newsstand forum. This could clear out any of the abusive cross promotion as some may see it.
    I think the challenge is to encourage adding knowledge, while still not making people feel like they can't cross promote when a post on someone's blog can contribute to the knowledge base and general discussion here on milepoint.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem with signatures having them, but I don't think they have any place within the body of a post. Especially when done on such a regular basis.

Pete, jbcarioca, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to have those bloggers register their feed with MP so that posts can automatically appear in the Newsstand forum (like the Boarding Area blogs)? Or would it be acceptable to have those purely self-promoting posts limited to that forum?

I generally agree with the sentiment expressed by others that a link to a blog post is fine as long as it's not a blatant advertisement to their blog (how's that different from me promoting my book... if I had one). If sufficient summarization is posted here, though, to make it possible to have a meaningful discussion of the topic at hand on MP without necessarily have to visit the blog post itself, I think it's acceptable.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg, jbcarioca and nime01 like this.
  11. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the group that thinks:

1. It's fine in a signature.

2. It's fine as part of a reasonably detailed summary post ("Full report/photos at...blog")

3. It is really irritating when you get an interesting title.. and a post body that just refers to a blog. I simply refuse to "go there" with posts like that. If you want to post here, then post!

Captain Oveur, Pete, 2soonold and 5 others like this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I feel like a duck floating on top of a pool of swarming sharks..... :eek:

13. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    even has "newsfeed" in his profile/avatar

jbcarioca and nime01 like this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    does it matter? If the bot can post, it should be able to post a decent descriptive title.

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find them mostly offensive unless they are a link to additional content that relates to a post. Thus, following essentially the standard copyright procedures. I find it irritating in signatures. There are places, such as Boarding Area, to go to for blogs. I do not mind being pointed to Boarding Area, partly because it shares common ownership with MilePoint. I do mind hearing the same blather directing me to someones blog. Some members endlessly promote themselves in person and in blogs. That is simply too much for me, so I tend to avoid those members when I can.

That said, lacking moderation is one of the attractive things about MilePoint. Still, endless self-promotion is boring!

tondoleo, Lufthansa Flyer and iolaire like this.
  17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To me, it's not a question of boring or not. Putting in self-promotion such as the regular blog inserts, in my opinion, goes against the spirit of what Milepoint is all about. There's a difference between the advertising Randy puts in and a second level of advertising done by contributors.

Think of it this way....every time you are served a beverage on a flight, would you want the flight attendant hawking her/his blog to you?

Pete likes this.
  18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the Flight Attendants Blog is "My friends and I - Bikini Vacation", then yes, yes I would. :D

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must be flying different airlines than I :)

2soonold, tondoleo and sobore like this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree and I agree with Randy's comments above. I tend to think less of MP members and posts that are blatant self promotion. I might click on something if I know from the title and post that it could interest me--I.e., if enough of a summary appears on MP, but I will not click on a blog link in a signature. I sometimes scan thread titles in Newsstand to see what topics are hot. I appreciate having the blogs together here, rather than scattered throughout MP, unlike the blogs that are not in Boarding Area in general.

I get angry when the MP post is vague or misleading and I click on something like (my made-up example but somewhat similar to one that made me furious) thread title "American airports closed today" only to find that the real story is that the one airport in Nigeria served by AA was closed for an hour due to fog. Even if there is no blog link, I think it is similarly inappropriate to post nothing more than links to some online news story about aviation or travel with nothing added other than copying the headline into the thread title. This clutters up MP with lots of threads leading to no discussion and most of this stuff is not of much interest to MP members IMO. All of this behavior seems worse when it comes from someone who has not contributed much here. I consider this to be self promotion because there doesn't seem to be a genuine goal of contributing to the community versus just having one's username out there, perhaps in anticipation of starting a profitable blog.

Yet another form of self promotion is the thinly veiled advertisement of one's own business, especially by new members. In these cases, I report posts that seem to promote businesses such as unknown on line travel services when I notice them. I would never deal with these outfits, but I suspect some naive person might give money to fly-by-night businesses that are promoted this way.

21. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to this thread, I just restructured my signature to be much smaller and less obtrusive. I am confident that as long as I continue to post useful information, people will choose to take a look at my blog if they want to, but I will not try to force them. I agree that MilePoint should be for useful discussion and would hate to see it turn into just an ad board for self promotion of businesses and blogs. My sincere apologies to any who viewed my previous signature and thought it was taking up too much space....you were probably right.

22. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ah... this topic again. I'm all for linking to blogs if not excessively done. I for one am doing it mostly for sharing my trip reports as I find it too much of hassle posting ALL the pictures and content in 3 different sites/forums. I totally understand if some feel uncomfortable clicking or going to external blogs but any content is good IMHO. If you're not comfortable, don't click.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.