Selective marketing participation and discrimination?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by daorlando, Dec 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. daorlando

daorlando New Member

Status Points:
    What is the difference between selective marketing participation and discrimination? I am, and have been a Diamond level member with Hilton for some years. I travel quite a bit so maintaining status has never been a problem. Still, on what I am about to tell you makes my blood boil and is enough to change my course of which brands have my loyalty. Hilton send a young fellow associate who is also a Diamond member an invitation to “Jump Start” stays for next year for the month of December. Wow, sounds great I thought, but I did not remember seeing the invitation. I contacted Hhonors and asked how I might register for this program. I received the following reply;
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Status Jumpstart offer. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately, I am unable to extend this offer as this was a targeted offer only available for select participants.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

What does “TARGETED” mean? I am sorry but this promotion is only for “ Fill in the Blank” (Younger, Older, White, Black, Married, Female, Male, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Jewish) My associate and I work for the same group, we spend the same amount on Hotels, we spend the same number of nights with Hilton? I cannot for the life of me understand what could be TARGETED other than our sociological differences. Any Thoughts Anyone?

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't get targeted for a promotion, so it's discrimination? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I don't think Hilton is going to share how they target people for promotions with anyone outside Hilton, nor should they, since their competitors would immediately make use of that for their own purposes, thus nullifying any benefits Hilton would get from the promotion. And I think you'd find that any other hotel chain would do the same thing.

This is no different from banks targeting people for credit card offers. Not everyone is going to get targeted for the same offers, that's why they called targeted. You're just jealous you didn't get targeted.

newbluesea and FriendlySkies like this.
  3. daorlando

daorlando New Member

Status Points:
    What you state has some validity, I doubt I would have been so upset had I been INCLUDED in the promotion and certainly would have been less sensitive to those whe were EXCLUDED. I am guessing you, your situation fits this criteria or perhaps the program itself or qualifications (Diamond) are outside your scope. Additionally, you might find that discrimination laws do in fact require disclosure of by what nature a candidate was refused. (Read the notice in your break room). In any event, I appreciate your comments even if I do not concur.

4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also possible they are doing things like "let's test this jump start offer on 5% of our members" and then randomly select a bunch of members. Your associate got picked and you didn't. Or your associate did most of their stays towards the beginning of the year; or stays more/less at a particular brand; or has a different ZIP code; or happened to book a night when the full moon is out. The reality is, companies don't always share what the criteria for a targeted offer is, but it's very highly unlikely it's a form of racial/religious discrimination. It's much more likely based on business factors like $ spent; location; number of stays; etc.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have stated, seeing a Targeted offer that you cannot participate in is certainly upsetting - especially if you covet what they are offering. 2-3 weeks ago there was an erroneous targeted offer where if you got the Hyatt credit card, you would be Diamond with them (one whole hell of a lot more valuable than Hilton Diamond!) that had me salivating!

But again, I get lots of offers in the mail that are for "new accounts only", whether it's credit cards or the guy who cleans the gutters of my house. So internally register your upset and move on. Not worth it since there will be plenty more ahead and maybe, just maybe, you'll qualify for a couple!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on your OP perhaps the criteria they used was to offer to the promo to members who appear to be more level headed and actually have a clue as to how businesses use targeted promos :D
    Lets hear the basis for the perceived "discrimination" law-suit.

BTW as a HH Diamond for well over 12 years am I entitled to be more "pissed" than you?:).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrong. Don't have elite status with Hilton, and haven't stayed in one in years.

Don't discrimination laws also require you to prove you've been discriminated against? They're not going to take your word for it. What evidence have you presented that shows you've been discriminated against?

Don't those notices discuss workplace discrimination? In any case, I don't believe that elite members of hotel programs who want in on promotions they're not targeted for count as a protected class.

8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am an HHonors Life-time Gold member, and have been Diamond for many years, due to our stays (250,000 base points for 2013), and did not get targeted.

Also, when trying to pay to upgrade at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, I have been told that I cannot do that, as all upgrades are only for special guests. All the while, beside me, others are being offered the same upgrades, that I have asked to pay for, on a "complementary basis."

When I inquired about the issue, I was told that Diamond was not that high up the "ladder," and that there were two, "secret levels," above Diamond. I asked if the folk to my right were at those "secret levels," and was told that they might be, but due to privacy issues, they could not tell me. Now, imagine a random check-in line, for the HHonors desk. What are the chances of having everyone, to their right, being members of the HHonors "secret society?" Guess that Diamond is just not worth much? Also, 250,000+ base points does not register. One only needs 120,000 to maintain HHonors Diamond membership - for whatever that is worth. Hilton is targeting some folk, and turning their backs on others, regardless of level/status, or stays. Guess that it is a different demographic, than I fall into?

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you feel that you have been discriminated against as a member of a protected class, there are appropriate places to lodge a complaint, other than an anonymous internet bulletin board. You will almost certainly be asked to provide some form of evidence of 1) your membership in a protected class and 2) actual discrimination by the respondent against members of that class.

I would be quite surprised if the Hilton loyalty program has any information that could be used to determine your membership in a protected class other than your gender and perhaps a handicap if you've requested special services in the past. I would be pretty surprised if Hilton did anything as ham-fisted as an offer that excluded women or ADA protected handicapped people.

I do believe that there exists the concept of discriminatory effect in which some information (for example, zip code) is used in such a way that the effect is to discriminate against a protected class (that is, if they target zip codes as a proxy in order to exclude an actual protected class). These cases are very hard to prove, since I believe it's required that you prove intent rather than simple effect.

In any event, like others who posted here, I see absolutely zero evidence of discrimination in your account of the situation. It's entirely possible that you and your colleague fall into exactly the same pool of targeted people, and 10% (or 50%) were chosen at random. Do you have a scintilla of evidence that that's not what happened?

ella, newbluesea and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of Lifetime Gold or any such lifetime status in the HH program.

And yes there are higher status levels than plain ol Diamond in the program... however these are not .. make that cannot... be attained by achieved by earning 250K points annually or even multiples thereof.:)

11. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not qualified for hotel or airline promotions listed by others on this forum. When I go to their website and enter the promotion code, I have received something to the effect of "you are not eligible". I don't take it personally when, for whatever reason, I don't fall into the demographic (business traveler, affluent zip code, etc.) that vendor is looking for. When I am accepted for a promotion, I am pleasantly surprised.

gaijin62 and LETTERBOY like this.