Selecting Seats on Aeroplan F Reward Trip

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by RoninTech, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    We booked a trip for next year using UA, LH and TG F. The itinerary Aeroplan sent us has no seats specified. Do we need to wait until 24 hours prior to select our seats on these airlines and if not, how do we go about picking specific seats? With F its not really a big deal but it'd be nice to snag adjacent seats where possible so we can gab rather than the more private single ones.

2. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    You call the airlines (in this case UA, LH and TG). Give them your name and flight date, and possibly ticket number. They will give you Seat Selection if possible, and the airline's own six digit Ticket Locator number.

With the Locator number, you should be able to adjust your seats on UA and LH (I have never got it to work on TH).

Enjoy your trip!

charlilo and RoninTech like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with BrianToronto ... I have had this happen and have been very successful in calling the airlines to get the seat assignment. It is also useful (if you do not already have it) to get the particular airline locator number for your trip on that airline.

charlilo, RoninTech and briantoronto like this.
  4. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing the same thing in June (only UA and LH). After I made my reservation, I just called UA and LH, gave them my flight numbers and name, and they assigned me seats.

I'm never sure what you guys are talking about with F and Y and the like. I know I have a first class ticket, with some Business class seats. But I assume it works the same way no matter what kind of ticket you have.

RoninTech likes this.
  5. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all, I'll call them this week and see what I can get.

Miloki, which part are you thinking is the same no matter what ticket you have? As you've probably guessed, F = first, Y = economy and J = business.

ACMM likes this.
  6. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seat assignment part. I think you still have to call the airlines for the seats if it's not an AC flight. Oh, and thanks for the clarification on all those letters!

7. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Note that sometimes you will not be able to select seats in all cases. LH, for example, does not pre-assign Y seats intra-europe.

ACMM likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with this ... I also found that Singapore Airlines did not assign a seat until 24-hours before flight (at least in Y). This is what I was told when I called. However having said that they did note that my profile request did indicate aisle-seat and that one would definitely be assigned to me (and it was on both legs).

9. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are all F segments so hopefully I'll be able to book the seats. I'll report back to say how it went.

10. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be no problem. On your LH segments, if they won't give you the seats you want, try online once you get the record locator. I have found better availability online than over the phone.

RoninTech likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and that's why we now have the Air Canada glossary! :D

ACMM and miloki like this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice way to introduce our wiki Tom! ;)

milchap likes this.
  13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    As every one posted, just call the airlines directly to get the assignments for your F seats. A research on each flight seat configuration may help. For example, LH A343 has 1-2-1 configuration. Thus, the middle section is where you are seating together. And if both of you like window seats during, then you know what to do! ;)
    Enjoy your visit to LH FCL at FRA and TG FCL at BKK. Have a wonderful trip!
    Cheers.

14. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    omg we have a wiki now!!! :eek:

15. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. I've been using seatexpert.com to figure out what seats I'd like. Plan to call tonight once I can dig up the numbers. We'll also enjoy the LH FCT on the away home. We planned the segments to maximize the FCL/FCT and Royal Orchid Spa experiences in both directions. :)

16. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay guys, there's no FCL/FCT on the wiki list! Please translate!

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes! We're just waiting for the links at the top of the forum page to be activated now.

miloki likes this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that'll be First Class Lounge and (Lufthansa's) First Class Terminal.

19. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, okay thanks. And I have a question about that lounge (and others). I have a first class reward ticket. Am I allowed to go to the first class lounges with this ticket, or do I need to have some kind of earned elite status to do that?

20. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's various rules depending on your arriving and departing flight's and the lounge in question miloki. For exampe if I didn't leave BKK on TG F we could not use the TG F lounge and get the full Royal Orchid spa treatment. Also, if we didn't use LH to get to FRA and used say UA F, we could not use the LH FCL in FRA. Also by departing FRA on LH F to YYC, we get to use the FCT.

So basically you need to post your itinerary showing the carriers and then folks can tell you what lounge(s) you have access to.

miloki likes this.
  21. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you arrive at FRA from your SFO-FRA segment, you should be able to use FCL until your TG flight to BKK. The LH FCL would be a mile better than the F lounge that TG uses at FRA (I think it's only the SEN lounge.)

22. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I will post once it gets closer (I'm still trying to grab 1st class on my last two flights).

23. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep that was our plan all along SQ LPP. We definitely can use the LH FCL since we arrive on LH F. We did this one a couple of years ago. :)

24. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or you could tell us what you have in mind and we could help you tweak it to maximize good F lounge access. :)

25. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, here goes. I don't know all the codes.

LAX - SFO - UA Executive (there is no 1st class on this flight)
    SFO - LHR - UA First
    LHR - FRA - LH Executive
    FRA - BCN - LH Executive

For this trip, I want to know if I have access to the 1st class lounges at LAX, SFO and LHR.

For the return:

BCN - FRA - LH Executive
    FRA - DFW - LH Executive
    DFW - LAX - UA Economy

For this trip, I think I only have time in Barcelona and Dallas, but wonder if I have access to the lounge with my ticket.

Thanks!