Seeking suggestions for Amalfi Coast

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Rlpro, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi experts!
    Arriving NAP on a Sunday afternoon at the end of Aug.

We've stayed on Capri and visited Pompeii on previous trips, but have not been to Sorrento or anywhere further south along the Amalfi coast.

We will have 3 or 4 nights. Looking for suggestions for hotel and what to see and do.

Thanks!
    Rebecca

Tenmoc and Chimpy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you'll have a rental car? Price range? There are some gorgeous small hotels in some of the smaller towns along the Amalfi Coast, but they can be very expensive. I remember a R & C property perched on the edge above the sea with a stunning terrace and small pool with views that were very pretty.

Another different idea is Ischia. It's less touristic than Capri and tends to be frequented more by Italians than foreigners.

3. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:

I will definitely check out Ischia ( how do you pronounce that?), sounds interesting.

As for Amalfi Coast, seems like a car will be best even though that drive looks scary! I would like to keep the hotel about 500 USD or less. From the little looking I've done that might be low to get balcony with view and a little luxury.

Thanks for the response :)

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely check out Ischia! Climb the volcano, amazing views up there! The beaches are all amazing, but there is a particular beach that also has hot springs along the shore. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a little bar down there with delicious Campari cocktails. You can swim in the Med and then sit in the hot springs as the waves from the Med wash over! I hope you can find it, because it is sooo worth a little digging around.

Have an amazing trip!

Tenmoc, Chimpy and Rlpro like this.
  5. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:

That sounds very cool. Thanks!

6. Trastevere

Trastevere Active Member

Status Points:
    Ischia (e-ski-a) +1...

I've been down there a few times and I would definitely stay along the Amalfi Coast, preferably Maiori, Minori, or Praiano. In Praiano there's a place "Hotel Onda Verde". It was a pleasant stay with nice rooms, good location. You can walk down to the water at night and eat at some restaurants down there. Leave the car behind and take the bus/water taxi everywhere...seriously. A day trip to the town of Amalfi and a half day up to Ravello are a must. Pay the money to go to the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, some of the most beautiful views you'll ever see.

Have a great trip!

Tenmoc, iolaire, Sweet Willie and 3 others like this.
  7. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:

Thank you! I will check out your hotel suggestion. Sounds lovely.

I've seen pics of the view from Villa Cimbrone. A-MAZ-ING!
    I've got to see it!

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Rlpro, did you get to the Amalfi Coast? what were your experiences, where did you stay? (we are going in 5 months so are curious, thanks).

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Positano is beautiful.

Not luxury but stunning balcony and view at Hotel Palazzo Marzoli resort which should come in at a double room with room service breakfast included for $500 USD per night. By the way I really don't like driving in this area of Italy- you can get a driver to pick you up from the airport and return to Poistano for 180 EUR round trip which is definitely worth it (I booked through the hotel above).

Tenmoc and Sweet Willie like this.
  10. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Sweet Willie. We spent 3 days and nights in Positano at the end of Sep. 2011. Definitely wish we had more time there, the Amalfi coast is beautiful! It was very hot and there are a lot of steps to climb up and down, but I like that, it made the breaks for a glass of wine or cafe freddo all the more rewarding.

We enjoyed a walking tour with Christine of discoverpositano.it. Spent time shopping, time lazing on the beach, evening cocktails on the terrace at Le Sirenuse and one day took the ferry to Amalfi. From there a bus to Ravello. The views from Villa Cimbrone are stunningly beautiful.

We stayed at Albergo Miramare. Loved it! Total for three nights booked 60 days in advance was 1700. USD. Our room was categorized as a "special room". It had great views from the balcony and the bathtub. A nice breakfast was included, served in a lovely dining room. But the very best thing about this hotel are the people. Everyone was so warm, welcoming and helpful. I agree with TRAVELSIG above that a driver to and from the airport is convenient and reasonable.
    Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to Italy!
    Rebecca

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    it does, Thank you!
    why is this?

(I ask as I'm planning on renting a car from Naples airport in order to drive the Amalfi Coast as well as visit Herculaneum, but we are going in an off season and on weekdays in November so I'm not overly concerned with congestion or finding places to park. I've read never to drive in Naples so will return car back to Naples airport & then visit the city of Naples)

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Subscribed :)

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used seesorrento.com private guide/driver during my visit - one of my favorite places in the world - try to get to Capri and during that time no cruisers so can really enjoy

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following is a rough itinerary (& some questions) we are thinking about for late November, I’d appreciate everyone’s input. Although I’ve read a number of posts stating that they really liked having a driver to/from/along the Amalfi Coast, the fact that we will be driving the Amalfi Coast during the offseason and on weekdays, I’m comfortable we can well manage the drive and take in the sights/views, fully acknowledging not able to see all the views that my passenger Mrs Sweet Willie will see as she is free from having to concentrate on driving.

Is there a best direction to drive the coast? (east to west or vv)
    Ravello seems to be THE town to see from what I’ve read (not to discount the other towns along Amalfi) if someone has a “better” city for strolling/taking in the views, please post.
    Until the rail system is complete, a taxi seems to be the easiest way to/from Naples airport to Naples City Center (if me solo I'd prob take the bus). How much is the taxi approx for this trip?

Tues:
    Arrive NAP at 1:05pm
    explore Naples, check into hotel (piazza bellini)
    Wed:
    Naples
    Thurs:
    AM - Noonish in Naples
    Then get car from NAP airport ~2:30pm
    Drive to Positano, arrive late afternoon, stay night in Positano.
    Fri:
    drive the Amalfi Coast, taking in sites along the way
    Arrive Paestum, stay night in Paestum
    Sat:
    in AM visit Greek ruins at Paestum, the drive ~40 minutes north to Salerno.
    Explore Salerno
    Lodge just north of Salerno
    Sun:
    in AM visit Pompeii, then lunch
    arrive at NAP in time to return car & catch 5:30PM flight

Thanks for any input the board can offer, I appreciate it.

Willie

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Traveling Momma, Tenmoc and iolaire like this.
  15. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We really enjoyed Sorrento as our base. For seeing the Amalfi coast I especially enjoyed having sandals made while I waited. Heck, I want to go back for the sandals alone.

As for driving the coast vs a guide, we went with a driver. Of course, there were 8 of us and it was easier than renting cars. The road has quite a few twists and turns, so there is a good chance that you will miss some of the views as you concentrate on the road.

Are you planning on going to Capri for the day?

We also enjoyed Pompeii, but hiring a tour guide is quite helpful. We overheard things like for the guides that were there. One interesting tidbit was the pieces of marble mosaic lining the sides of the streets. These were designed to catch the moonlight and provide light at night for people walking down the street.

I hope that you have a great time!

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Sweet Willie really prefers a base (less packing/unpacking) and most places I'm ok with that. However I'm concerned on this trip about 'wasted' time driving to/from a base which could better be spent just relaxing or strolling a town.

Did you stay at the Hilton Sorrento or what lodging?
    besides the Blue Grotto is there really anything unique about Capri compared to the Coast? (or is Capri mostly about getting on the water an seeing the coast from a boat?)

As we are scuba divers, we've seen some amazing sea caves, so while the Blue Grotto sounds neat, unless there is something unique/worthwhile about Capri (besides the boat trip & Grotto), at this point we are planning on not going to Capri.

Tenmoc and KathInJax like this.
  17. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in Positano at Le Agavi and enjoyed this for one night with the rest of the time in Sorrento. I enjoyed Capri blue grotto and the funicular to the top to explore the views. I didn't have alot of time having done blue grotto first on the day trip and have heard good things to stay overnight. As you are going later in season hopefully you can avoid the cruise ship masses of people/tours as that tends to affect everything. I used private guide for tour of Amalfi coast from Sorrento and they stopped in Positano along the road, private lunch high up in one of the towns and then another guide at Pompeii (they have their own registered guides) -one of my favorites to explore

18. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We thought that Sorrento was a good base and centrally located. My feeling was that Sorrento was a bigger town than Amalfi or Positano, so there were more restaurants and shops than in the rest of the coast.

We had 2 days/3 nights there, so not a huge amount of time. We flew into Naples and took a shuttle bus to Sorrento. We spent that afternoon and evening in Sorrento. The next day we took the train to Pompeii. The next day we drove the Amalfi coast.

We did not have time to go to Capri, but my grandfather did call it the most beutiful place that he had ever been. So, the next time that I go to that area, I plan on going to Capri.

This was before I was into hotel points, so we had paid for all of the hotel stays. Since we had 8 people, we finally found a hotel that could take 4 to a room down by the Marina. It was a fairly steep hike up into the town, but it wasn't too bad for us.

Here is a picture of one of the main shopping streets in Sorrento:
    2008 Summer Vacation 1053.JPG

Here is a picture of the Amalfi Coast road:

2008 Summer Vacation 1093.JPG

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read on TOBB as well as some other sites that in late November, some of the smaller towns along the coast may be closed down essentially for tourism (Amalfi & Positano being exceptions). So maybe Sorrento might be a good place for us to stay. As usual, more research is needed:D

It has also been suggested that we ditch the car & utilize the local bus that is frequent along the coast and there are stops in each town along the coast. Anyone use the local bus?

KathInJax, Tenmoc and TRAVELSIG like this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really agree with the bus suggestion. A few of the small towns will certainly be closed and Capri will be very very very quiet. Driving in this area is a nightmare- don't do it unless you need to as driving in this area is a combination of a Formula 1 race and a Rally saga without any rules whatsoever.

KathInJax, Tenmoc and Sweet Willie like this.
  21. This place, in Praiano, a quaint little town halfway between Positano and Amalfi, is the most beautiful and most enchanting place on earth-- we've stayed there several times over the past 10 years and love to go back at any opportunity. It's called Casa Angelina (google the web site).

It's on the pricey side, but worth every penny. You don't have to go anywhere else but just admire the view and sunsets (I've attached a couple of pictures I've taken there); you can take a water taxi to Positano and/or Amalfi, and there are several superb and affordable restaurants nearby. There is no other place in the world I would recommend so enthusiastically-- splurge for a couple of nights, it's well worth it. You could also look for other, more moderately priced accommodation in Praiano and enjoy the views and serenity. IMG_0599 copy.jpg IMG_0594.jpg

22. I haven't been to Ravello for a couple of years but that town has even prettier views and a wonderful atmosphere. It is at the top of the road leading up from Amalfi.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides the views, are there particular attractions along the Amalfi Coast that are worthwhile?

Villa Cimbrone in Ravello is on our list, what about the following? (or please add attractions you found worthwhile)

Cappunccini Convento
    Duomo di Saint' Andrea
    town of Atrani

24. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paestum: where the Greek temple ( also a number early Roman temples/buildings) is reputed to be the best preserved examples of Doric architecture in the world (including that found in Greece)
    Twin seaside towns of Maiori (has a castle and much photographed Norman tower) and Minori.
    Further south there is Veitri sul Mare which is famous for its ceramics has a fascinating ceramics museum

Sweet Willie likes this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this recommendation, we are now going to include a visit to Paestum.