Seeking advice - phone for person who will be visiting Europe

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by mickc, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mickc
    Original Member

mickc Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi.
    An elderly relative has asked advice about taking a phone to Europe. They do not have a phone capable of roaming abroad, nor are they in a position to visit a local store on arrival and get a local pre paid phone. They would like to take a simple phone with them for emergencies on an organized tour of Poland, Hungary and Czech Republic.

I have started to research renting a phone in the US to send with them, or renting a 'global' sim card and picking up a cheap phone to pop it in. I can see expenses mounting up quickly. I can work out the dual/tri band needs, but am hoping people out there have advice on the service/sim card options.

With thanks in advance

2. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't read Rick Steve's advice on phones here it is: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/mobilephones.htm

I travel to the UK frequently and one day I went into a mobile phone outlet and purchased a pay-as-you-go phone that allows me to purchase minutes when I need them. I need to make calls frequently when there so having a mobile phone makes sense. However, in Europe I rely on phone cards. Using phone cards allows me to make inexpensive calls from any phone booth and most hotel phones. Rick's advice sums it up well, IMO.

jbcarioca and mickc like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use an Orange UK sim that allows roaming in Europe. It can be expensive but it solve the problem for my 86 year-old mother in law.

My personal solutions are more exotic, but there're useless to an 86 year old. Sounds like you're in a similar boat.
    You can also use MaxRoam. Expensive but it is seamless roaming everywhere.http://www.maxroam.com/Home.aspx?cur=EUR

There are other newer oens too, but I have no personal information about them.

4. mickc
    Original Member

mickc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information and suggestions