Seeking advice on award booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Stickbert, Apr 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Stickbert

Stickbert Active Member

Status Points:
    Being fairly new to award booking (only my second attempt), I could use some advice on the best way to pull this together. My wife and I are both Premier Silver. She has 88,000+ miles, I have 212,000+. We want to take our daughter and son-in-law on a trip to Europe to celebrate her master's degree. I can get 4 super saver awards for the trip, but I only have enough miles to book three tickets. My wife has enough to book one ticket, so that would seem to cover it.

however, we would like to maximize our chances of getting all four of us into Economy Plus seating. From the way I read the award chart, that benefit extends to one other person on a Premier Silver's itinerary. That would seem to indicate that I could pull one of the two up with me, but my wife could not, as she would be on a separate itinerary.

Is there any way to arrange this to maximum effect? I've even considered buying my own ticket, as that would give me some EQM towards next year's status. Would that help work this out in any way?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

Tim

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are doing a simple round trip itinerary (i.e. no stopover in Europe) then you might be able to get away with booking one-ways.

Have your wife book a pair of passengers for the outbound and you book the other pair. Then you book all four return flights. Here's where it gets tricky. Split the reservation into 2+2 on the return and you should have a pair of reservations, each of which has a silver and a companion on it, and therefore everyone gets E+.

The other thing to consider is that there is a reasonably well-known "bug" in the system than any award booking carries the status of the account from which the miles are issued. So the non-status kids likely will actually have silver status for the trip, including access to E+ seats. But I do believe the one-way plus split option would work, too.

LarryInNYC, Jimgotkp and desamo like this.
  3. Stickbert

Stickbert Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if the status of the person booking the award carried over to the recipient, which would seem to take care of the matter. If not, your suggestion of splitting the reservation looks like a good way to do it. Thanks again! T

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, except there are issues when there's two non-status passengers, so I think that doing it 2+2/2+2 is probably the best way. I'd have suggested what WA did, but he beat me to it.

5. Stickbert

Stickbert Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I ended up going the 2+2/2+2 route. We'll find out in July how it works out. T

desamo and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to reserve the E+ seats now and confirm that at least initially it is functional. If it isn't working now I'd strongly consider the 24 hour free refund rule.

LarryInNYC and desamo like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hint: not picking seats will often put people with status into E+. At least it's worked for me. Can't change 'em, though.

8. Stickbert

Stickbert Active Member

Status Points:
    Under the new Premier rules, as a Silver I can't book into E+ until 24 hours prior to departure. Probably the biggest thing I lost when I missed renewing at Gold this year.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :oops:

Forgot about that part. Sorry.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you let United pick the seats. Sometimes, you'll luck out and it'll put you in E+ at time of booking.