Seeing Wild Animals in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by NileGuide, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. National Zookeeper Week is the third week in July—in 2011, it will fall between July 17 and 23. If you want to celebrate with a trip to the zoo, you’ll have one small difficulty if you’re in Las Vegas that week: there is no zoo in Las Vegas. If you’d like to see some wild animals, however, you’ll find a few places on the Strip with furred, feathered, or finned creatures.
    Visitors who are accustomed to large zoos, like the San Diego Zoo, are often surprised at how small the Strip’s animal exhibits are. While you can see some unusual collections—the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay is North America’s only predator-based aquarium, for instance—none of the exhibits on the Strip will take you very long to see. About an hour is all you’ll need to visit:
    The Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay
    Sharks aren’t the only thing you’ll see here. Lizards, crocodiles, piranhas, and salt-water aquariums are filled with a variety of creatures. The hands-on section of the Reef, where you can touch rays, is one of the most popular parts of the exhibit. You can also see jelly fish and moray eels, but the main attraction is the large tank at the end full of sharks. Tickets are $18 for adults, $12 for children.[​IMG]
    Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat
    Visitors start with a short tour in the Dolphin Habitat, where a viewing area below the water’s surface lets you look into the aquarium. The tour includes videos of live births at the Habitat, and the dolphins do a few jumps for spectators. The Secret Garden holds animals from Siegfried and Roy’s collection. Although they no longer perform, the duo still have a large number of cats and other animals. The enclosures look small, but the animals do not spend all their time in this exhibit. Tickets are $17 for adults, $12 for children.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Give yourself 15 to 30 minutes to see:
    MGM Grand Lions
    The big cats are usually doing what cats like to do best—sleeping. A clear enclosure gives visitors a view all around the two-level exhibit. A walkway through the exhibit is likewise surrounded with clear material, and the lions are often laying on the top of the walkway. If you think your kitty is hard on the furniture, take a look at the size of these cats’ paws. The exhibit is free.[​IMG]
    Flamingo Hilton Wildlife Habitat
    Naturally, you’ll find flamingos here, along with swans and ducks. Koi and turtles live in the ponds. This exhibit is free.[​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    While not a bargain, the fact that there are any animals that are alive in Vegas is an amazing feat. :) :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really?! And what is

http://www.lasvegaszoo.com/

4. Grozzy
    Original Member

Grozzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My definition of wild must be different.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you click at the bottom of the OP, you see exactly the text posted here (in different type face style and smaller font for me) and exactly the same pictures. Is this a trick to get us to waste time generating ad revenue for someone?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. NileGuide isn't a human posting here, but rather a "feed" that reads posts from the NileGuide blog. Essentially it's a syndication for their contents.

I am not sure how many people actually read the NileGuide "posts" here. I usually don't bother clicking on them, but was attracted to this one since I know Vegas reasonably well (have family there) and was wondering what they were going to tell me...

Funny how they didn't mention the REAL wild animals of the Vegas area -- burrows and wild horses, rattle snakes, desert tortoises, assorted lizards...

Disappointing article.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually avoid the NileGuide threads too, but this time it sounded interesting and I clicked before realizing that it was NileGuide. With most of the other blog posts, when you click, you do get additional content.

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    the real wild animals: lounge lizards, hustling snakes, skunky gamblers, cat houses prowlers, ...

HaveMilesWillTravel and milchap like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, lots of those, too.