Seeing India by Luxury Train

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing India by Luxury Train

The Maharajas' Express has spacious cabins, fine food and private performances

The Wall Street Journal

By Roger Toll
    Jan. 10, 2014

WHEN WE STEPPED off the train at the small station of Pachora, 250 miles northeast of Mumbai, Lord Ganesha was waiting.

A man costumed as the Hindu god was carried by turbaned attendants and accompanied by folk dancers who whirled to ancient stringed instruments, reedy horns and hand drums...

It was appropriate to be greeted by the god of good fortune: We were a lucky group—passengers taking a 2,000-mile journey from Mumbai to New Delhi on the Maharajas' Express, one of the most luxurious trains in the world...

Read the entire article here:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...96981866730624.html?mod=WeekendHeader_Rotator

gregm, MSYgirl, iolaire and 1 other person like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not cheap by any measure. I doubt anything is worth $23K/person for a week !

gregm, daninstl, iolaire and 2 others like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I could see doing this "I chose the smallest and least costly cabin, priced at $6,840 a person for seven nights." I'm not spending that type of cash now but I could see it at some point. Sort of like the Antarctic cruises or Smithsonian trips, there may be a time where I would value more the cultural, education, and quality of service provided by some of these upscale travel groups.

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having experienced individual pieces of what is offered in most luxury trains in India, I doubt the guides are better than faculty driven expeditions such as Smithsonian, or Woods Hole tours; or research trips organized by renowned evolutionary biologists working in Galapagos.

The tracks in most sectors are not as smooth as modern day rolling-stock demand.

gregm, iolaire and Newscience like this.
  5. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No desire to visit India until they stop selective abortion of girls and lock up the rapists.

anileze likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boraxo,
    While I agree with your sentiments (who wouldn't?), are you suggesting that all tourist travel to India be electively ended? Is the Indian government doing anything at all about these issues? Wouldn't similar issues prohibit travel to Russia and China? Tibet and Burma? What about others travelling to the U.S., arguably one of the world's largest arms exporters?
    Newscience

gregm and anileze like this.
  7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no desire to visit China either - even worse than India where at least there is a democracy. What are the similar issues in Russia? If I was gay - yes - I probably would not spend my tourism $$ in Russia. But at least they are not killing gay people.

At last count there were something close to 200 countries in the world. I haven't even been to 1/4 of them. There are plenty of places to visit where I can feel good about spending my $$$.

To be fair there is some possibility that travelers can help people move in a positive direction by interacting with local people. Burma is slowly moving in the right direction so maybe good to visit. Tibet is part of China but maybe good to travel there to show your support for the locals. But neither poses a safety risk.

I am sure you can find a good reason to boycott almost any country, except maybe Iceland! :) I am just sharing mine.

gregm and anileze like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tourism is a luxury very small percentage of the humanity can afford. Of which a smaller percentage indulge in it. Of those indulging in it, yet a smaller portion those who do, make a socio-political stand by selecting where to go. We are constantly spun and manipulated by media and blogosphere, each accentuating and/or our preconceived world views ;)

9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I badly want to see India, but the recent rapes have really put me off going (which is a pity). I don't see the point of visiting a location where I am going to feel unsafe. :(

anileze and Newscience like this.
  10. LisaCampbell

LisaCampbell Member

Status Points:
    dont travel India. travel other Asian countries.

11. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately India is the Asian country I most want to see. :(

gregm likes this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is expensive like all luxury trains. Heck even Amtrak isn't cheap if you have a nice cabin and are going far. I wouldn't say Amtrak is luxury at all, even on the long haul "flyer" routes.

gregm likes this.
  13. MaharajasEXpress

MaharajasEXpress New Member

Status Points:
    Traveling with Maharajas Express India may be a costly affair for some tourists if they compare it with other modes of transports in India but the type of luxury and the privileges that tourists enjoy throughout the journey justify this choice. Golden triangle is the most economy Maharajas Express tour.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  14. steviemacey

steviemacey New Member

Status Points:
    I went there last year and no hesitation to say that I didn’t face any kind of trouble regarding my protection and anything else. But its depend on you how you will travel there. I booked my journey through the official maharajas express site http://www.the-maharajas.com/ and enjoyed my whole journey.

Cheers!

anileze and Newscience like this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with India? I enjoyed my two weeks traveling around there. ;)

eponymous_coward likes this.