Seeing Finland Beyond Helsinki

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LONDJC, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LONDJC
    Original Member

LONDJC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Business is going to take me to Helsinki in a couple of weeks time and I've decided to tag on 2 or 3 days on one end of the trip or the other for a little bit of a Scandinavian vacation.

The first thought was either flying to CPH or OSL or ARN either prior to or immediately after my time in HEL but it looks as if this sends most of the airfares into the stratosphere (I am wedded to * Alliance for this trip). Helsinki's a perennial favourite and so I've begun to give some thought to venturing somewhere else in Finland for that short break. I thought I'd get the thoughts of people here as to what they would recommend.

At present, I'm thinking of either taking the train to Turku or Savonlinna. I enjoy the leisurely nature of train travel so the journey is part of the fun for me. Does anybody have thoughts on either of those destinations or an alternative? Ideally, I'd like a destination with a bit of history, that offers some opportunities to take some sort of boat trip and, ideally, where you can simply while away a couple of relatively quiet and relaxing days. I'd also be prepared to look into the option of renting a car and exploring a little beyond my destination.

I look forward to getting people's thoughts.

DJC

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Since it sounds like you're familiar with Helsinki, I'm assuming you've already taken the ferry to Tallinn?

If not, it involves a boat, some history, is relatively cheap, and is a quiet location to spend a few days. Here's a link to the Wikitravel entry on Tallinn. LINK.

There's also train service to St. Petersburg, but that's a much more complicated process for visas, etc. and you'd want more then 3 days I think.

I spent a few days in Helsinki this February and really enjoyed the city, I'd love to explore further afield in Finland. Sadly I didn't get a chance, so I don't have much input or advice on going north.

3. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a conference in Tampere a few years back, and liked the city, though due to a lack of time, didn't get to see much beyond the centre. There are some interesting suggestions here:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Tampere

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or go the whole distance (not just the Aland islands) and take the ferry to and from Stockholm.

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where did you end up??? I spent a few days in HEL last year and thought it was a great place to visit. I want to go back but I'd also like to expand a bit out of the city itself.

Cheers -

7. LONDJC
    Original Member

LONDJC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, just Helsinki. My meeting schedule changed and so my plans for tagging a couple of days on were truncated, which was unfortunate as I was really looking forward to getting out beyond the city (and had settled on Savonlinna).

Sorry I can't offer any more concrete recommendations!

DJC