Security checks at the gate in BKK

Discussion in 'Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus' started by Canadi>n, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was through BKK was flying out on UA and was surprised to find a second security check prior to going down to the gate, at the top of the stairs. I recall taking TG flights from BKK and not having this experience though those were at least two years or more ago. Is this second security check just for US bound flights (on US carriers) or all international flights, TG and other carriers?

2. I have flown out of BKK many times to the US and to China, Nepal, Singapore, Malaysia. I have always experienced the 2nd security check if I am flying a US airline to the US. I have never experienced it if flying to another country. I just assumed it was at the request of the US govt.

3. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also do the check upstairs before boarding TG's nonstop to LAX.

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, this second (ridiculously stupid) security check is for flights departing on US flagged carriers or direct to the US (basically the one TG flight).

lwkatya likes this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, SQ also does this secondary check for all their flights at the top of the ramp before going down to the gate. The same goes in CGK, secondary check before entering the gate for all their flights.

I think it's got more to do with them not believing the effectiveness of the airports' security screening than anything else.

lwkatya likes this.
  6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, there is also second check for flight to Australia.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are the SQ and Australia bound flights for each passenger or is it random?

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is for each passenger, they would check your passport and BP and look through your carry-ons. They didn't confiscate the bottled-water I took from the lounge though.

lwkatya and kwai like this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What pissed me off it that they did confiscate my bottled water. Since UA doesn't provide individual bottles in C any more I insist on having a bottle. Too many germs from sneezing passengers landing on open glasses of water! UA's C seats are too close together and offer little or no privacy from one's next-door-neighbour...

But thanks for the random sample. I had assumed it applied to US carriers and/or flights directly to the USA.

10. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was hand search of every hand luggage on Australia bound flights and they confiscated bottle of parfume bought in Paris that was 110 ml (not blaming them, it was my mistake, I thought it was 100 ml). They told me that this extra check was on request by Australian authorities.

11. OnePassFan

OnePassFan Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I'm sorry to hear about travel misfortunes at BKK. I've always had wonderful experiences there. I think I've flown in and out of BKK about 22 times (maybe more.) I've never seen a second search at the gate. I've used UA, Delta, Thai, Al Nipon, and Lufthansa. Might it be a random thing?

12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on your destination and also airline. I know SQ does secondary checks at the gate with the security staff going through your carry-ons before letting you inside the gate. Thankfully they don't confiscate water bottles.

13. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To Australia there is a liquid check on top the stair case before boarding. From the look of the mountain of confiscated goods behind the three agents, they took everything over 100 ml including taxfree goods (wine, champagne ++) even if it was packed in the correct bags.