Second try: Paying IRS with a Bluebird check

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TWA44, Apr 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    I posted the following on an old thread called "Paying IRS with Bluebird" over on the credit card forum. But I received no replies, so perhaps it is better asked here. (I deleted it over there.) Now that Bluebird checks have arrived and many of us have them in hand, I may not be the only person with small enough tax payments due to enable paying the taxes with Bluebird.

I just need a little reassurance. I have only used BB once, to send a mortgage payment, and that was before I received my checks in the mail. It worked fine. Now I want to pay a federal tax bill of under $2000, a state bill of a few hundred, and an estimated federal payment of $300. I have the BB checks in hand and enough money in the account, so can I just go onto the site, pre-authorize the three checks immediately since they are under $2000 each, write the authorization numbers on the checks along with the other details, and mail them on their way?

Sounds almost too good to be true.

Have you done this or do you plan to?

Thanks.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the checking is a very new feature and a lot of folks probably already have their taxes done I imagine you may not get good info on this. This might be something for other taxes that could come around later in the year or for next year. I would be hesitant to do something like this with it being so new.

3. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply. I think I may give Flyertalk a shot. Maybe there are more people there with relevant experience. Thanks again.

4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I remember reading something that you could not pay federal taxes via Bluebird. Check the T&C in he BB agreement.

5. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what the policy is here re: links to Flyertalk, but I posted my question there and got this response. I do remember seeing comments in Mr Pickle's blog and others about using the new paper checks to pay the IRS and indeed people have done it:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20581475-post168.html
    I did it yesterday.

I did not check the T&C but I think the previous limit re: paying taxes predated the arrival of the paper checks.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume the IRS has no problems with receiving two checks from different accounts in one envelope for tax payments (estimated in my case)? I'd like to keep my BB check under $2K to get the online approval, so I am planning to pay the rest from my regular checking account (want to avoid writing two BB checks to the same recipient (US Treasury) to circumvent the $2K rule in case that upsets BB/Amex).

7. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I paid approx. $5,700 with my BB check and the remaining amount owed with my own personal check. There is nothing that I read in the T&C's about not being permitted to pay the IRS with these. Also, I received my authorization code for the $5,700 payment in less than 4 hours.

8. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    i think you wont get a good info of using the check

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

My checks were cashed, no problems.

PS: welcome to MP

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess I don't understand why you would want to pay the IRS with a Bluebird check. Why not just transfer the funds to your checking account electronically, and pay with one check? (Or better yet via Suntrust Delta debit card at payusatax.com)

Ed Chandler likes this.
  11. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both my checks cashed no problem.

12. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aversion to transferring money out of BB to a bank?

Personally I took the braindead route of trying to get Bluebird to clear a > $2k check. Took them a week to clear it. By which time I had send an access check from capital one to the IRS. Finally got the money back into my account 3 days later and I will just pay my Capital One bill with bluebird.

I think that might be my future looking strategy where I need to send a check > 2k.

Cdnblue likes this.
  13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the advantages of paying with BlueBird vs regular checking account?

14. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bluebird is of interest to FlyerTalk members primarily because the account can be indirectly funded using mileage earning credit cards, and Bluebird payments can be made to individuals or businesses which do not accept card payments.

Official information about Bluebird prepaid debit cards is here:

https://bluebird.com/

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here:

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Still trying to decide if this is something to jump on.

15. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is.