Second Milepoint Kiva money bomb discussion

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by horseguy, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

On the kiva.org board, there is a growing consensus to have the next money bomb on March 9. The point would be to coincide with the Milepoint Kiva DO in San Francisco. The only thing that gives me pause is that several members have requested the next money bomb be after the 15th of whatever month the bomb is, so the bomb can be better.

These are both, IMHO, great ideas, but clearly, both can't happen. Thoughts?

Horseguy

The wiki for the second money bomb is here: http://milepointkiva.wikispaces.com/

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think by planning the next bomb far enough in advance should give time for everyone to save any money up if they are constrained to make an even more impressive money bomb. My only recommendation might be to make it for the weekend before, because when people mare traveling, it is not as easy to participate in such events (I know my schedule made it nearly impossible to do due diligence on any loans on the 9th)

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 6 others like this.
  3. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 2nd Money Bomb should coincide with the DO, on March 9, 2012.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 6 others like this.
  4. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it really depends on what people think the goal of the MB is. If it's to loan the biggest amount possible, then 15/16 is definitely the time to do it. However, if the goal is to inject as much new money as possible (and therefore increase the compounding effect in subsequent months) then earlier in the month put the focus more on that.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 8 others like this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think in time with the Do would be preferable. If the first bomb is any indicator, there was a significant amount of enthusiasm generated, including FofBH and LLL team members. Having it apart from the 15th also insures that there is no lull in loaning for the remainder of the month for loaning.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 5 others like this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am flexible as to the exact date.

7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think new funds is a good goal. Relending will happen anyway.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest we coincide with the DO, and organize a lending party for all the attendees to get together physically and lend away. There may be problems... what do you think?

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  9. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes no difference to me.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  10. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about a Christmas or New Year bomb?

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 3 others like this.
  11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I understand that the whole idea of a money bomb is to maximize the lending impact in one day, -- is there anyway to maybe designate that week (Mar 9-16) as MP/FT Kiva Lending 'week' and generate interest that way?!:)

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 5 others like this.
  12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quite like the idea of a money bomb week to tie in with the KIVA DO.

I can understand the eagerness of folks wanting to have regular money bombs, however I know personally I don't have limitless funds and the feeling of being pressured (even if this is only my perception) could actually result in me walking away from the whole thing feeling like I am not able to contribute enough.

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 11 others like this.
  13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this view.
    Converts to a cause are sometimes a pain in the *** .:D

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 9 others like this.
  14. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree! -- 'over-saturation' (& lending 'fatigue') can be a by-product of 'over-eagerness' in planning these money bombs!:eek: I think they need to be 'strategically' planned & spread out (not always possible if it's tied into a specific event or milestone, but not just every possible occasion imaginable)!;) I know that the team does not want to 'alienate' any one, & we all need to respect our own 'limits' & those of our peers here.

zpaul, nime01, Tenmoc and 10 others like this.
  15. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that we should not have these events too often. Max 2 per year perhaps.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using milepoint

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 8 others like this.
  16. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, the general consensus I get is that we should limit the bombs to twice a year, and schedule them to coincide with DOs if at all possible. Which makes the obvious candidate for the next money bomb the March 9 get together in San Francisco.

Can everyone live with this?

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 10 others like this.
  17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can and I also want to say thank you for the idea!

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We certainly should because we all know overdoing this will destroy what we are trying to accomplish, as several people have said.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 7 others like this.
  19. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 7 others like this.
  20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other thing to consider is involvement of other groups.
    For example, Friends of Bob Harris already has plans to do something similar on Bob Harris' birthday, which is Oct. 15th. This an idea they came up with before horseguy came up with the money bomb idea. They are now setting the goal of covering every loan Kiva offers on Oct. 15. like we did (twice).
    I intend to support their effort, and I feel it would be wonderful if many milepointers would join FoBH and credit at least one loan to that team on Oct. 15th (easily done since it is repayment day). Many of them came over and supported us on money bomb day, so we should reciprocate.
    There is the potential to make money bomb day much bigger than just our team.

21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I feel that it is important to remember that we each have different resources available to us, different styles in how we approach Kiva and lending and different perspectives on what's important for the team.
    I enjoy the big promos for the energy and attention they bring to Kiva and the team.
    Yet, for me the greatest enjoyment I receive from my Kiva loans is when I take a moment to connect, heart to heart, with the borrower(s) I am lending to. This reminds me that every single loan is important, every person is important and that this whole process is as much about people connecting across the planet as it is about money flowing across the planet.
    So, as much as I appreciate the big promos and the tens of thousands of dollars that are being lent, I also appreciate it when one person joins the team and makes one loan.
    So, thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Horseguy for coming up with this idea and loaning tens of thousands and thanks to Chimpy and Mrs. Chimpy for each making one loan on money bomb day. And thanks to everyone else who contributed in their own unique way.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, Toula and 6 others like this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree mostly. I would think 2 MBs a year is a limit. March and October would be fine with me.

I do know however that you could see people saving up and not lending as consistently as they had been in the days before the MB. This almost seems contrary to the goal.

zpaul, Toula, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another purpose of a Money Bomb day is to bring attention to Kiva and to the team. This happened very nicely on the first Money Bomb day with lots of folks from other teams joining us and crediting a loan to our team. I think we also inspired the Friends of Bob Harris with our ideas and energy for their day of lending on Bob Harris' birthday. For the second Money Bomb day, we will surely be cooperating with more and more people and teams, and we will be doing it in SF at virtually the same time we meet Kiva staff. So, there will be lots of opportunities to make this bigger than just our team.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, Toula and 3 others like this.
  24. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sage advice, Tenmoc! I was concerned that there would be a loan downturn after MB I, but was happy to see that loaning continued. For me, my loaning in MB and for the pledges has been beyond my normal loaning habit (which has also picked up recently), but not so great that I could not afford it (as you had also mentioned in the Kiva/Personal Goals thread). Rather, this month, I looked at some of the things I was spending on (say dining out) and considered for every time I did not eat out, that would be equivalent to a loan (and redirected it accordingly). Not that I have turned into a hermit, but for me, its a matter of balance.

zpaul, Toula, YULtide and 4 others like this.
  25. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Balance is a very good thing. A little re-evaluation of the choices we all make (and here I can only criticize my own) is useful, and we may find that it is possible to find a different balance in our lives. Everyone here has different circumstances, opportunities and commitments in life. But the one thing that we all have in common (besides being frequent flyers and affiliated with the best people on the planet - that means all of you!) is that we have included Kiva lending in our choices. For me, that helps me to keep my life in a better balance. And I think it helps to rebalance the world.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, Toula and 2 others like this.