Seattle to San Juan, our virgin AA trip

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Punki, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full routing: SEA/ORD/MIA/SJU

At 4:00 a.m. Thursday morning we received an e-mail advising that our SEA/ORD leg would be leaving 45 minutes late, which was worrisome as that meant we would miss our 767 ORD/MIA connection. They originally booked us on a later flight in coach, but I called and explained that I don't do coach, especially on a first class ticket and they put us in first on a 757.

Our SEA/ORD first-class experience on AA was much the same as a first-class experience on UA except the gate agents didn't seem as friendly.

When we got to Chicago, our original flight (the 767) was still there, but they had given away our seats. We were a disappointed, or course, because we had been looking forward to the AA international business class experience. UA would have saved our seats for us and protected us on the later flight, but I guess that's a difference between the two airlines.

In the end, it turned out to be a blessing that we were switched to the later departing 757 as our original flight was delayed so long that we never would have made our MIA/SJU connection. As it was, we had to run to our MIA/SJU connection and were among the last to board. Thank God for the train that runs between the gates.

Throughout the trip, the gate agents were a lot less friendly than UA gate agents, but the on-board experiences were pretty much the same. Joe likes the seats better on AA because the seat itself slides forward in addition to the seat back reclining. The food was pretty much the same as that offered on UA and they did not appear to as for choices based on status as we have no status whatsoever and were always asked first.

Hopefully our return trip will go as smoothly.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're correct, status doesn't get used on AA for food. They follow a Front Even Back Odd (FEBO) system. They take orders from the front of the plane on even numbered flights, and from the back on odd numbered flights.

Sorry to hear you were struggling with the staff though. It's funny you posted this because I was just reading a blog post from a long time UA elite who is now flying on AA to get EXP status. He's the same writer I linked you to in your other post about what to expect on AA. He had very positive things to say about AA's staff. Here's the blog post he wrote.

I suppose with staff it's always luck of the draw. I've been very unlucky on UA with staff, which is part of the reason I've decided not to fly with them despite being Chicago based. Also that fact that my last 5 flights on UA were delayed by more then 3 hours or outright canceled.

Like you said, hopefully your return trip will go smoothly!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've flown AA F quite a few times lately. While I don't like the way they take food order, I think the food on AA domestic is a little step up from UA IMO. Handing out cookies in paper bags is really tacky. On AA they have plates. Also, the breakfast on AA has oatmeal and bagels in F. AAs coffee is probably the worst in the sky, UA brews Starbucks. On the ground, I've found that you find good and bad with both airlines

4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't drink airplane coffee eat cookies anywhere so those details are meaningless to me.

Joe tells me that there is a Continental club in SJU near the AA gates so we can hang out there while we wait for our plane. I am sure we will have no such luck in Dallas while we wait for our connection.

OBTW, we love San Juan. :) We'll be back.

jerry a. laska likes this.
  5. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's coffee has gotten better with the switch to Java City. It's actually tolerable if it's double-bagged and smoothed out with a little club soda - I had a FA urge me to try it this way before adding my usual packet of Via to my cup, and it wasn't half bad. So I saved my packet of Via for another time.

tommy777 likes this.
  6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! The Continental club has been closed for 2 years. Priority Pass needs an update. ;)

We also travel with Via & tea bags.

7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our flight from SJU to DFW was certainly pleasant. I love looking down at all of the islands in the Caribbean--the water is so beautiful. The flight crew was wonderful and even got me a chicken sandwich from coach because I just couldn't eat the cheese tortellini. I filled half of it with salad with salad dressing and it was delicious. I put the rest of the chicken on the rest of my salad and that was good too.

Oh yeah, I forgot. AA doesn't have pillows on flights less than 4 hours.

Hey Jerry, it sure is good to see you. We need to scoot back up to Alaska one of these weeks when Princes has a smoking last-minute cruise deal. :)

8. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having been 1P on UA and PLT on AA, I can say that they're pretty much the same airline when comparing apples and apples. E+ vs. any Y on AA has no comparison. Crew and employees are a YMMV situation.

Oh... and your 767 C seats wouldn't have been an "international business class experience". It would be just a Business Class seat with domestic Y service or an F seat with domestic F service. Nothing special about it.

9. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good.

Horse likes this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were just curious to see what the seats were like before our long trip to EZE in September. Oh, well, we will see when the time come.

11. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight ORD-SEA last night went Front first. Good thing they still had a enchilada when they got to my seat. First edible thing I've experienced on AA in a long time (save the crispix).

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If your flight was odd numbered (should be going ORD-SEA), then someone didn't take the orders right....

13. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was, she didn't. Everyone lived another day.

14. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear you didn't make it onto AA2074. I'm taking the same flights tomorrow and hope to not miss the connection to the 763. I'm not too worried if it's late considering I have a long layover in MIA on the way to MBJ.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a 2-class international equipped aircraft, the pax would have had an international j seat with domestic f service.

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA used to protect higher level elites in situations like this, but has stopped doing so recently. AA's legacy IT system does not have a way to automatically take out the extra rez when you board a flight, so the phone agent who protected us had to remember to go back and release that seat. Didn't always happen, and AA lost revenue from being unable to sell the seat. If there is a question as to whether you will make your connection, AA offers you a choice, they will move you to a later flight or leave you on your original flight.

All airlines have these nuances. One reason why I like to fly only on American is that I am familiar with most of their nuances, and I know how to find my way within their system to get what I want. If I were on UA, not only would I not be elite, but I wouldn't know how to do this stuff, in most situations I would be as lost as any Kettle.