Seattle Area Hotel Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LAM, May 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I have a short business trip to Seattle in mid-June and all the hotel rates are outrageous. I am a govie so I am suppose to stay on a gov't rate but none of the main hotels in downtown Seattle have any gov't rates. The gsa rate is $190.00 in June for Seattle and the closest I have found is $229 at a Holiday Inn Express. Can any give me any suggestions as to which suburb I should try to stay in if I have to go that route? My one day meeting is downtown near the art museum. Unfortunately I probably will not be able to have a rental car so I will have to get there and back by public transportation or cab/Uber. My division is not paying for the trip so it is hard to go to the folks paying and say I need a waiver to stay at a more expensive hotel. I know traffic can be horrible in the greater Seattle area so I know cabs/Uber would not be cheap either but I may be able to share with a coworker if we can agree on where to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions even of what suburbs to stay in or even a specific hotel? They would be greatly appreciated. I have been to Seattle once but stayed right downtown so I know nothing about the surrounding areas. I am staying one extra night at the Crown Plaza on points but I don't want to use them up when work should pay for my hotel. We have to present a bill so I cannot just be reimbursed the $190.00 and use my points.

uggboy likes this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you can get a downtown property in the right range with a rate code or just buying last moment, I'd probably stay by the airport. You shouldn't have too much problem finding a nice hotel there under that price (e.g. Marriott by the airport is both reasonably nice and close to the train stop), and the light rail makes going downtown quite convenient.

Are you planning on having much downtime/anything you want to see or do? Also, if you share the dates, that should help.

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cruise season in Seattle results in crazy high prices; also the US Open (starts June 15) has slammed most regional hotels that would otherwise be cheaper. If you're relying on public transportation your best bet is the airport, using the light rail to get downtown in around 40 min. for $3. Get off at the University Street station and you're 2 blocks from the art museum. The Hilton at the airport is the closest hotel to the light rail station, reached by a skybridge over the main highway. http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Link-light-rail

traveltoomuch, edekba and uggboy like this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you check Hotwire?

traveltoomuch and uggboy like this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with staying near the airport and using Sound Transit if you're non walking distance from the light rail system, you might look for a hotel with a shuttle van.

It takes a nominal 45 minutes to get downtown -- for details see

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

DTWBOB

uggboy likes this.
  6. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you're doing this, but just in case... Be sure you also check any other eligible rates. AAA, AARP, Costco and others are often lower than government rates.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it will help, but...
    • Do you have to find the hotel on your own, or can you foist it off on your travel office? They may take the initiative re: documentation/waivers, saving you the awkwardness of asking.
    • Consider declining to do the trip. ("Your offered per-diem is inadequate, and I am declining to subsidize business/government travel out of my own pocket. I am not a charity.")
    • Priceline name-your-own-price. Simply bidding at government per diem is grossly inefficient, but it could be an easy way to get a room exactly at a compliant rate. Note that Priceline's "taxes and fees" are slightly higher than local taxes and even include a fixed per-booking amount, but your expense reporting system may not care.

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming the OP works for the Federal Govt, he's at the point where he needs some guidance from his manager and possibly revised travel orders. If he's a contractor, he may need to check with the staff of his organization and/or the govt. agency he's doing the work for.

That said, as mentioned above, it may be possible to beat the GSA rate which is usually the same throughout the Metro area.

One thing not to do when traveling on someone else's nickle is to use points, it's an opportunity to earn them !!!!!

DTWBOB

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'd stay at the airport area as well and take the light rail. Driving in DT Seattle during the summer is a hassle. Not worth it at all.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the advice to try an airport hotel. However, be aware that many of them are now charging hotel guests to ride their airport shuttles. IIRC Marriott (up the hill but close) is one of them, with about a $6 fee, but at least it's walkable.

timfrost and traveltoomuch like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a few hotels near the University of Washington campus. They're mostly independent and not particularly nice, but they can be cheap if there isn't a campus event or conference there at the same time.

12. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once stayed at the high-rise Hotel Deca near UW, and I found it quite reasonable. Some rooms are tiny (single full size bed), but they're advertised as such. It's run by Noble House Hotels, a relatively small company with some nice properties in its portfolio.

timfrost likes this.
  13. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see several options in the airport area for $130 (Clarion) to $165 (Red Lion) in the middle of June. I don't have your exact dates but I would also echo previous posters about staying near the airport and taking the light rail. It's not the fastest ride in the world, but it is convenient and a single-seat ride from the airport to downtown.

14. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We will be in Seattle right during the week of the US Open so that is what is probably driving all the prices. Someone else traveling to the meeting found a gov't rate at a Hilton Garden Inn near the airport so I grabbed a room there. Due to having to travel downtown some folks have been allowed to rent cars so I will car pool with coworkers attending. But I do plan on taking the light rail into the city on my extra day there and my trip back to the airport. Someone else found a Residence Inn but I am going to keep the Hilton reservation as I am trying to earn points for a future expensive stay and they are having a double your points promotion.

timfrost likes this.