Seattle airport

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by WilliamQ, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sharing my recent experience.
    When I returned my vehicle, I glanced at the bill and noticed that it was higher than my original quote.
    Checked with the staff inspecting the return and he told me it is probably due to the petrol or the insurance which I then informed him my original quotation did include upfront petrol and full LDW.
    Fortunately, I had my print-out with me and I showed it to him.
    I was then brought to the rental post and I explained my situation.
    At first I thought it was because I picked from the Executive / Emerald Aisle and was billed for the "upgrade" but it turned out that I was stuck will all the other extras which I had declined.
    The staff could not "remove" the extras but she eventually added a line entry for credit note to LDW (which I did buy) to offset the other extras which I did not buy.
    I got back the original pricing but it took over 30 minutes of standing in the cold.
    Fortunately, I gave myself over 2 hours for the car return and shuttle ride.
    Things could have easily went the other way.

uggboy and gregm like this.
  2. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which car agency?
    Write to Customer Service and explain and I bet you get a voucher for a 2 day free rental!

uggboy, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like National given the Executive/Emerald Aisle. I would definitely write customer service. I've had nothing but satisfaction when I've had to go this route. Good luck

Of course you did post this in the National Thread...that was my first clue! :)

uggboy, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you have this confused.....

Possibly th OP had original posted in the National thread but I repsonded to this thread which is Seattle Airport.

National has been a good company for me giving extra credit when a foul-up was made on my free car credits.

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that it matters, but I'm not confused. Seattle airport was posted under the National thread but I didn't notice this initially. However I recognized Executive/Emerald Aisle as a National product so responded.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    On further review lol
    Car Rental Programs --->National | Emerald Club--->Seattle Airport

So you are right but doesn't show in the link or title above.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    WilliamQ and FetePerfection like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing all the views!
    I will certainly consider writing in but I am also well aware that mistakes happen and if it was made right, let there be "peace".
    The purpose of the post was to "remind" fellow renters (in general) to check the receipts.
    Mistakes do happen.

Side note: I always try to check my grocery receipts as they are the biggest culprits for missing promotion pricings, double scans etc.

FetePerfection likes this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey. I wrote in a feedback but and received a very prompt reply. However, the reply kinda lay blame onto my feet and I would like to check here was this a rookie mistake on my part not to have requested for one? I had assumed the Executive status allowed me to breeze through the checkout and my reservation confirmation (with the status on options I picked) was all I needed.

As you might guess, I am new to National / Emerald Executive and usually rented without status (i.e. stand in line at counter) except when I used Hertz. I got my Emerald Executive status through the MP package.

Was I supposed to have received any pick-up (vehicle checkout) invoice from National?

When I arrived at National (Seattle Airport), I followed the signs and headed directly towards the carpark. There, I showed my reservation confirmation printout to a staff and was directed to pick any vehicle from a row immediately in front of his counter. After picking a vehicle, I drove to the exit. I was asked and I re-confirmed that I want the Fuel Purchase option. I was then cleared to drive off.

I did not received any invoice in the pick up process and neither was I asked for a checkout invoice during the return when I highlighted the differences in charges. I had relied on my printed confirmation for both my pick-up and return.

Thanks.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    National is really prompt in their response! At least it is cleared up that there are no check out invoices and they can look into disputes after the fact (no need to miss a flight :)). Not that nice for international visitors though due to bank charges. Also, nothing else received other than an apology but I believe it is probably due to the fact that I am a first time renter (with National) despite the Executive status. Have not gave them enough businesses yet and they also probably park me under the infrequent customer (LVC) grouping due to the International member status.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know National Emerald Club is for NA based members only....so so much for the speculation with regards to International members.:)

Frankly I would have expected this matter to be cleared up pretty easily. As an almost 20 year member of the EC I find their customer service quite good in matters such as these.
    You can set up your account with an e-mail and you will receive a confirmation within minutes after picking up the car. I am always a bit surprised that after dropping off a car I will have an e-mail copy of my invoice even before I get off the shuttle-bus.

Just one other question why in the world would select a pre-paid fuel option?

WilliamQ likes this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. I stay in Singapore and they do accept international members. Just that the registration is done via emails and scanned forms. At least its not faxes and snail mails.

Well, I have a 6+ flight in the morning, I clearly am not familiar with the area around Seattle (in fact whole of NA :p) and all the while when I rent, including Hertz, that has been my default position. Pay upfront and do not worry.

This trip though it was a little wasteful. Due to the itinerary, I used barely a 1/4 tank of gas... but it is what it is..... My rental before this, with Hertz (San Francisco), I was on the red line the evening before my return and I could not locate a gas station. On the way back to the airport, I took a wrong turn as well. I was sweating bullets all the way but we made it. :eek: