Seats, Observations on AE's CRJ700 (CR7)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by beaktor, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was my first time experiencing American Eagle's CRJ 700 on a recent AUS-ORD flight. Traditionally these flights were handled by MD-80's, but AA has been phasing them out for more fuel efficient options.

The CR7 first class has 9 seats in a 1-2 configuration. Coach is a 2-2 setup. Note that there are no ovens on board, so even first class catering doesn't offer hot options. I've been on the smaller ERJ planes and found them cramped especially from the curvature of the sides, but it doesn't seem as bad on the CR7's. Though, with the way the overhead bins were, you have to watch your head as you get in and out of your seat. I hit my head twice.

The seat cushions are leather, and have enough length and padding for decent comfort for 2 hour flights like the one I was on. Recline is a slide and tilt mechanism, so you don't intrude into the seat behind you. While I've the exit row has good legroom, the best seats in coach are the "bulkhead" seats right behind first class. There is no partition separating first and coach, unlike larger plans like the MD-80's and 737's.

This means that bulkhead row 5 has almost 3 feet of legroom, and the aisle 5B seat has almost unlimited space. Additionally, 5A/C/D also have underseat storage from the first class seats in front. 5B, with the offset aisle, doesn't officially have underseat space but if you ask nicely you may be able to share 5C/D's. Row 5 also has immovable partitions (for the tray) if that bothers you. Unfortunately, I think row 5 is gate-assignment (or express seating) only.

Note that in a plane of this size, there are only two flight attendants and one restroom in the back of the plane. It also gets noisy around row 15 and back. Another downgrade is that there is no power anywhere in the flight.

Mods, I couldn't find a relevant thread in the forum on this, feel free to merge as appropriate

Attached Files:

onfo, Bradley and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. I am taking one of these planes for the first time later this week in F myself. Not a huge fan of small planes, interesting that the bulkhead in coach seems to be the best seats on the plane!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not a perfect match but lots of discussion about the CR7 F cabin here: LINK.

No mods on MP, but you can always use the "Report" feature on your post and ask to have it merged with another thread. :)

On a side note, despite not having ovens, some of the better meals I've had in F on AA lately have been the cold meals served on Eagle. I particularly enjoyed a beef wrapped asparagus with cous cous recently into SLC.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if the front row in F on the CR7 has a bulkhead foot cutout for extra room? I'm trying to decide between row 1 and 2 for best leg/foot room.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From my memory, there's no cut out.

6. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't go wrong with row 1, there is plenty of legroom but of course all bags need to go above. Not only is overhead space limited on the CR7, the the bigs are smaller on the left side in the forward section and also start around row 2 or 3.

thrashsoundly likes this.
  7. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I've read about the storage situation, but I'm not too worried as I'll have to gate check my bag anyway. I'm more concerned about my long legs and size 18 feet (the hardest part of traveling for me).

8. SFOJFK

SFOJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Like the single seat F rows, but it still reminds me of the old Barbie DreamJet F*kkers! Agree about the bulkhead Y row. Valet bag retrieval is miserable on any of these flights.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I actually kinda like the AE F cabin. I'm only 5'8" though and have short legs, so I don't really feel that cramped even in the back of the bus. :)

neuatomic likes this.
  10. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even at 6' 4" and 230lbs, for some reason I LOVE the single-seat F on the CRJ. So nice having both window and aisle access. The F section is so small that it seems (maybe my delusion) that you get better attention from the FA. As close to private jet flying as I'll ever get.

11. onfo

onfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed report. I have an upcoming Y ticket on this and have chosen 5A for both flights. Cheers!