Seats in New 777 Economy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adexpert, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked on UA940 on 10/15. The seat map on united.com indicates this is a 3-3-3 config Y cabin, however the map also doesn't seem to match Seatguru in the slightest. I can't figure out where to sit (e.g. exit row) as frankly I'm not sure which map is right. The UA one has some obvious problems (rows with an extra seat, etc).

Can someone help? Likewise it would be ideal to try and select a seat that would survive a swap back to the old layout in a favorable manner. I attached a screenshot of what UA is showing me - here's Seatguru http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_2_New.php

Attached Files:

Lufthansa Flyer and Aditya Vyas like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    It continues on to FRA. I expect I might need to swim if they're sending an A320 for that leg. ;)

rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flight number does or the aircraft does?

It is not uncommon for "direct" flights to involve an aircraft change en route.

6. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight number for sure.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw that same weird layout tonight when looking at some flight options.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA 940 continues to FRA as a 744 currently based on flightaware.com data

9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would chalk it up as a .bomb error. I've seen them draw seat maps incorrectly in the past.

But based on the Business/First, it looks like it is the new seating configuration. Did you try calling United to see what they see for the seat map? Or perhaps reporting it to United.com (though not sure it is worth the aggregation of dealing with the ICC)?

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first and business cabins are showing the new flat seats, so I think the coach section is just being drawn incorrectly by .bomb.

11. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the time period that OP mentioned, it is a 777.

12. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or could it be that the first and business sections are being drawn incorrectly?

13. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed this today when checking an upcoming itinerary on UA 944 ORD-FRA. Luckily, I'm within the 7-day window, so I can see that this is scheduled to be a 777-200 XD according to ualcargo.com. Our seat assignments were completely screwed up, so I'll have to call to get them fixed (codeshare, can't change them online).

I'm not sure exactly which seat map corresponds to the XD configuration (according to the wiki there are only 2 such planes). Anyone know which seats to pick in E+? I also read that the new XQ birds have power in E+; does anyone know if that's the case with the XD configuration too?

Thanks!

14. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    You did the right thing to check "flight schedules" on ualcargo.com to see what actual equipment currently is; B777 means old and 77Q means new. Bear in mind that it can change from new to old config even right before departure (much more rarely, from old to new config).

15. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK so I called the 1K desk and the agent seemed suitably confused too. As far as I can tell, Seatguru is wrong, the graphics on UA's site are questionably accurate, and the seat picker is broken.

Has anyone been on one of these before and can confirm the actual layout? I went ahead and picked 21H as it appears that there is no seat in front of it and if the plane swaps back to an old config it's a good seat.

16. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, well this is a 77D.

It's new, but possibly a different configuration than the other new ones. I did find this PDF of the XJ and XD configuration, but it's several years old, so I'm not sure if it's up to date. You'll note that the business and first class cabins have the new configuration. The E+ and E have the old 2-5-2 configuration, BUT the rows are AB / CDEGH / JK instead of AB / CDEFG / HJ. That would probably explain the seat picker confusion.

This PDF also suggests there's power in E+. Is this possible if they didn't change the seats? I sure hope so.

According to the Flyer Guide Wiki, there are currently only two planes in XD configuration and none in XJ configuration, so I'm not too surprised this configuration isn't on Seat Guru.

17. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... never mind. After doing some more research on the other forum, it looks like the XD's are actually 3-3-3 in Y. I'm back to confused as to why the seat picker is so broken. Looks like the main difference between the two new configurations are the lack of crew rest facilities. The XD seat map is here.