Seating on CRJ-200s

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if they wait to release the seats on the 200 in Row 1 until a specific time, and if so, when?

2. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, on UA, I've never noticed any delay in releasing seats in Row 1. Then again, if those seats are "occupied" when I'm selecting seats, I often find them open closer to the actual travel date.

3. Likewise, I've not seen a delay in releasing them (although I try to avoid the CRJ200s as much as possible) - they've been available at time of booking for me in the past.

4. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually wish UA would block the first row, or have the first few rows designated as "premium" or something.

While, like most rational people, I do my best to avoid these awful contraptions, not blocking any seats leads to everyone selecting seats as far forward in the cabin.

In >10 circumstances in the last few months since I started flying UA extensively, there is a last minute request on board for a few pax to move back for weight and balance. I usually take an aisle in row 2 or 3, but end up in 12 or 13 as there are few takers on the proposition.

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, taking a far-forward position and then volunteering to move back when the inevitable "weight and balance" announcement happens can get you an empty seat next to you pretty easily.

That still doesn't make the CRJ tolerable, but it makes it suck slightly less.

And if you gate-check your carry-on, you probably will still get off the plane before it is available, so there's no real loss to moving back.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CRJ-200 from CLT to IAH was not all that fun. Was so glad when CO brought mainline from IAH back to CLT!

7. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just sounds miserable - 913 miles is too long for a CRJ. Hoping UA follows Delta and banishes these barbie jets to only flights under 750 miles.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it was. As matter of fact did a CRJ-200 once from CLT to MSP which is right up there in length. Kicker there was it was then coach from MSP to AMS. Kinda tired when I got to AMS. :)

9. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    During my times in GSO, I did GSO-DFW (999 miles) and GSO-MSP (924 miles) on the TortureJet.

CO-wise, I have experienced my fair share of 1000+ mile ERJ rides on MSP-IAH and MSP-EWR. Was surprised one day last year when I was no. 6 on the standby list as a Platinum for MSP-EWR on a TortureJet...lots of elites sitting in suboptimal conditions on that flight.

10. ddrewboy
    Original Member

ddrewboy Active Member

Status Points:
    Can I be added to the "i hate CRJ" group? LOL - I ride in one of these at least once a week. They have the most uncomfortable seats in the entire UA fleet. AFAIK, UA does not actually block these seats. They are among the first to be selected as they are in front of the one-class plane. Personally, I have been lucky most of the time with the exit row seat next to me being empty when the plane is not full. Naturally, it was not the case last night as every single seat was occupied on the last ORD-SAV flight.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  11. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish the same, but with the scope clause, I have a feeling they're a loooooooong way from being able to come close to DL's policy.

I thought it sucked when DTW-IAH went from a good mix, mostly 738's to mostly 735's. Now the noonish DTW-IAH is a CR2 - 1076 miles. No thanks!

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted this elsewhere but the CRJs (UA Express) are making a comeback at IAH. Looks like IAH-PIT will have 2x a day. That's 1117 :rolleyes: miles.

13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really is amazing that even the ERJ 145s and CR-700s (sans FC) are so much nicer in comparison to the CRJ-200. They're not optimal for certain, but more comfortable for sure IMHO.

14. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CRJ-700s are tolerable in F at least - I did a ORD-GEG-ORD turn on a -700 in 1A during the MSP-GEG $130 a/i F mistake fare a couple of years ago and was comfortable. In Y though? - shoot me.

15. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should mention that the 2x IAH-PIT is a CRJ-200. There are also two CR7 flights.

16. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My behind hurts just reading about a 1117 mile flight on a CRJ-200.

Doesn't the Constitution prohibit cruel and unusual punishment?

17. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only by the government, not by scope clauses [​IMG]

Seriously, there are no good seats on the CRJ-200. Row 1 has a little extra legroom, though no room to stretch. The only benefit to row 8 (the exit row) is that it is restricted to CO Gold/UA 1P and above.

18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even Row 8 is terrible. I'm 6' 1", and that entire aircraft is unbearable. Devil's Chariot :eek:

19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 6'5 and consider boarding the plane torture. I really wish they would get rid of all of them and on the few routes that need a 50 seater give us the ERJ-145, as those have at least one row that is only mildly uncomfortable.

20. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as seating on a CRJ200/100, they are simply torture contraptions designed to break your will and separate you from your money; and provide for your chiropractor's child education fund.

21. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure what the op's routing is, but i can tell you on the lovely embraers from AVL, they don't release row one on CO or UA until online check-in...so, 24 hours before flight time.

22. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked several ER4 segments recently that are XE dba UAEx and was able to book 1A on all of them, and I currently have no status at all on UA.

23. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    how strange. maybe i'm confusing the CO rj (where i'm positive they won't let you book 1a prior to check-in) with the UA version. thanks for posting!

24. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be news to me as I had 1A last week till I snagged 12A when I saw it was empty.

Yea I like 12A better than 1A, less people to bug me.

25. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are worse ways to fly than this plane

Tenmoc likes this.