Seating advice for Cathay First Class

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Aug 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We (wife and I) are reserved with two seats on a 777 RT in Cathay First. We have the left window and the center. A photo I saw seems to show the center seat has a fixed divider on the left side of the seat, totally blocking the left window seat from view?

Is that the case and, if so, would I be better booking center and Right window? Many thanks for any heads-up.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I flew, I booked 1a and 2a, essentially giving us the whole left side.

jbcarioca, sobore and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 to what JohnDeere19 said above. We had the whole left side and loved it. Lots of privacy - you can dine together in any case (which was a great experience) so not being able to see the other person when seated is not that bad

jbcarioca, anabolism, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the person? ;)

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    To answer the question as-asked, that's correct -- the openings on the seats for 1D/K and 2D/K face each other. Some people prefer those for travel as a couple, although when sitting back in the seat or laying down you really cannot see your traveling companion in those seats. There are no true seats for couples in Cathay first.

Others prefer 1A/2A because of the divider between the A seats and the D/K seats, where you're seated one in front of the other.

But assuming you want to be next to each other then you do want D/K.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As always, thanks Gary. Will call today.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are definitely less foot traffic for those seated in the As than those in Ds and Ks due to that very nature of 1&2 D exiting towards 1&2K. 1A, being a little bit closer to the galley, will be a little bit noiser during meal preparations than 2A.

A lot of time when I travel together with Mrs R, she'll be at 2A while I'll take 1A since those minor commotions at the galley when work is done there tends to affect her more than I. I personally find the difference in the noise level between the two to be extremely minor.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    actually, beware to 2A if on 77G since the soild linen bin is on the bulkhead next to 11D and there is a HUGE amount of traffic to the same. you should check FT but some in 2A have noted they can actually hear the traffic and the use of the soild linen bin. personally, as a result, i would stay the hell away...i found in 11A is was non stop FA's droping crap in there...

jbcarioca and anabolism like this.
  9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got several trip coming up in CX first (looking forward to it) and we've set up 1A/2A on some flights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    how comfortable is the buddy seat for just sitting and chatting? It looks pretty tight with the tray open. I am considering a trip with a friend, but we would like to visit with each other.

Quasiconvexity and jbcarioca like this.
  11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buddy seating in F is fine for ~2 hrs at a time.

Quasiconvexity and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. jbc and I prefer 1 or 2 D/K. We often spend as long as 2/3 hours with one of us on the small seat. It is fairly comfortable, especially if you're doing something together.

Quasiconvexity and sobore like this.
  13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. I spent ~2 hours in the buddy seat for dinner last week (we had 1A and 1K on the 747) and it was quite fine, even with the tray open.

iolaire likes this.
  14. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it easier to talk with a companion in J? It looks like the seat slides up so you can talk, but I dont think you could eat that way. Too bad Cathay doesnt have a cool bar like Korean. That would be ideal.

15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As the OP, I'm surprised this thread is still active! When I really think about it, after 42+ years of marriage, I'm pretty sure we can make it 16 hours barely talking! We'll probably do the big meal together and enjoy some private time the rest of the trip. We'll be totally together for two weeks so I'm not sure why I drove myself so crazy about these seats!:)

infamousdx and anabolism like this.
  16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know there are couples that prefer to have "apart" time on long flights. In my case, we enjoy sharing the flight experience as part of our trips, so we work hard to be in optimum seats.

(I was surprised on one trip; the paired center seats in the AA 777 LAX-LHR F cabin were already filled with one or two people, so one of us took one that was open, and the other a window seat. I figured whoever booked the aisle seat hadn't realized it was not optimum for a solo traveler and would be happy to swap for a window seat (which is also an aisle seat since it's 1-2-1). On board I asked the guy if he'd mind swapping and pointed out that it was a better seat for him, but he refused. I still can't figure out why.)

17. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here we are in Thailand and I thought I'd report back about the seat choice. Not much reason to review the flight itself since everything was simply wonderful!

As I wrote above, in the end we took middle and right window but as others have said, it is simply not possible to carry on a conversation with anyone except the flight attendant! While privacy can be nice, I did find this over the top and preferred the seating on BA F, Swiss F, etc. I think the 1-2-1 simply feels more comfortable for us. That said, I would do this again in a heartbeat and appreciate airlines like Cathay Pacific that are dependable in terms of seats they offer and timing of the availability.

We did have our meals together which was nice. Three movies, two meals, reading and sleep made the time pass. Only downside of the 9 AM flight is that you feel guilty drinking that early - but I got over it!

Thanks again to everyone. Looking forward to another week of traveling and another Cathay First home!

iolaire, smitty06, anabolism and 2 others like this.