Seating Advice - CO 777 BE EWR NRT (CO79)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JSpira, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my first time flying Continental and I have a choice of 11K (the only aisle seat in BE that remained, so I took it) or numerous window seats in almost every row.

This is on the 777 from EWR to NRT on CO79.

As of now, the seat next to me (11L) is vacant but that could of course change.

Thanks in advance for any insights - and please tell me anything I should know about the service or flight since it is my first time.

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With those lie flat seats, I find pretty much every seat to be pretty equal -- because each seat needs to lie flat, you always have a minimum amount of leg room. Being in the aisle means you can get in and out easily, but you also have to deal with a window seat passenger climbing over your bed if you're sleeping. It's doable, but if that makes you feel uncomfortable, I would sit window so that you can climb over someone else.

Another advantage of window is that you usually have a tiny bit of storage between the wall and the seat, good for pillows, blankets, sweaters when you don't need them/when you go to the bathroom.

I found no difference between facing forward or backward.

Hope that the flight goes well!

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do enjoy Row 8 when I can get it since the seats are a little bit longer but all the BF seats are excellent in my opinion.

AZjohn likes this.
  4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO BF seats are only forward facing.

Ygor likes this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh right. I'm getting my UA and CO ones mixed up.

6. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    We sat in 11A/B from HKG-EWR on CO recently, and the seats and location are quite good. 11K/L will be the same, with little interruption from the galley or from Y. I did not find these seats to really have any negatives.

I am confident you'll be treated to some great CO BF service. Enjoy your flight and the lay-flat seats!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi DIG/R_1K,
    OK, you peaked my curiosity again. Is this extra length noticable (like a couple of inches)?
    Have a flight with Mrs. AZjohn on a CO 777 EWR-LHR in a few months and the front is wide open. I think I have us in 2A,B now but would be happy to move for a little more room.
    Thanks,
    John

8. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sat on row 8 before, and I don't know if they are any longer, but they have bigger foot wells which makes a difference if you are tall. Seems like the best row on a 777 BF. There is plenty of space and a partition between your seat and and the toilet, and on the K/L side the bathroom is bigger, thus nicer to use.

AZjohn, Mackieman and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is all very helpful and I appreciate the insights. What about the center two seats, E&F? The benefit of those is that no one has to jump over you and you always have an aisle. I am not fanatical about having a window seat (I've always liked the Captain Kirk seat in first on AA 767-200s for example) so I'm considering 11 E as well.

10. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other question: do the cabins tend to fill up with upgrades or do they go out with empty seats (i.e. if I choose 11 K, is there a chance 11 L will remain empty or...)

11. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    11E/F are good as well, with the advantage that you can always get up without interrupting anyone, or having anyone bother you. The six-across seating on the CO777-200ER is spacious and there is no cramped feeling. I would absolutely avoid 5E/F, as there are storage compartments above both seats that the FAs use throughout the flight, and it is rather disruptive.

If there are people eligible for upgrades - they will be upgraded. Certainly flight go out with empty seats, but it all depends on the day and the load. You can always change your seat at check-in, but empty seats can be filled all the way up until the door closes - and those last-second upgrades are becoming more frequent.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best seat on the 772 is 8E. Next are 8K/L.

The bulkhead seats aren't longer but the cutout for your feet is wider so you get full use of that length rather than your feet being potentially wedged in to the space.

AZjohn, JSpira, Ygor and 1 other person like this.
  13. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Just out of curiosity, is the cutout similar in row 1 or is row 8 unique in this respect?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Row 1 is the same in terms of the foot well but I prefer 8 over 1 for a few reasons.

JSpira and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah it appeared longer but is actually wider in the cut out :p

JSpira likes this.
  16. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks (again!). Would you mind sharing the reasons?

17. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reasons for my preference of Row 8:

- Lav in the spot 1A/B would otherwise be, making 1D a rather unpleasant seat
    - Double-size footwell (true of all BF flat bed bulkhead rows)
    - close to 2L, used for boarding on just about all 777 flights
    - 8E very close to the handicap-accessible lav on the right side of the cabin fwd of door 2R
    - Fast service from the mid galley
    - Usually available when I select seats (subjective, I know, but pax seem to choose A-zone first)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  18. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I now have 8E on the return flight. All I have to do is get the person in 8E on the outbound flight to move and I'm set :)

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    EWR764 got most of the reasons I would cite. Proximity to the larger lav, the boarding door at 2L and the galley are my main high points.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  20. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat in topic, but helpful for all to know, is that the new BF seat (I dont know if this was the case with the old one) can be manually reclined in case of malfunction. One of our seats was not responding to the buttons, and the FA reached under the seat and pulled something which got it to move. However, every time the seat needed to be moved, this same procedure had to be done.

It is not great, but if you are in a full flight, it beats having to sit for many hours up straight. We ended up moving to another seat since the flight was rather empty.

This is also not know to all FAs. One FA who tried to help us at first had no clue this was possible.

JSpira likes this.
  21. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Legacy CO BF cabins tend to fill up with upgrades and nonrevs before departure, but there is always a chance you could end up with an empty seat next to you. I wouldn't count on it though, especially on an NRT flight.

JSpira likes this.
  22. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good info to have!

23. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I´m back from my trip, I wanted to thank everyone here, in particular those who commented on 8E (most notably EWR764 and Wandering Aramean). I was in 11E to NRT and it was pretty good although the footwell was a bit tight. On the way back, I was in 8E and that was excellent. For that flight, no one was next to me (the BF cabin had more than a few empty seats on the return, although it was full to NRT) and the service was excellent.

AZjohn likes this.