SeatExpert seeking MP seat experts

Discussion in 'SeatExpert' started by SeatExpert, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SeatExpert

SeatExpert Official Representative

Status Points:
    First time poster, loooooooooooong time lurker ;)

Many of you are probably familiar with SeatExpert so we won’t bore you with our backstory. Long story short, we’re owned by the same company that founded MP and so are extremely familiar with the wealth of knowledge possessed by the members of this community.

And we're excited to begin our participation here, particularly in the forum bearing our name.

We’ve been working very hard to improve and grow SeatExpert and we’re ready to take it to the next level. As of the time of this writing SeatExpert features more than 750 seat maps, and we’re adding more all the time. One of the big things we need to focus on going forward though isn’t just growing the number of seat maps we have, but also improving the quality of each of those maps.

Toward this end, we’ve completely redeveloped the SeatExpert seat mapping process so that we can rapidly update our maps to implement feedback from travelers such as you.

So please, tell us where we have it wrong. Does a configuration need to be updated? Are we missing a map that we absolutely shouldn’t be missing? Do we have a seat colored green when it should be red (or orange, or yellow)? You let us know and we’ll update the maps as appropriate.

And if you have any other suggestions as to how to improve SeatExpert we’d love to hear those as well.

Looking forward to learning from everyone and participating here on MP.

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    (ETA the airline)

United 757-300 version 1 says it has power in rows 16 - 19? That would be news to me. I don't know if it does or it doesn't, but I don't believe they added any in seat power when they added E+ to the ETOPs rated 753s.

-David

Kalboz, jbcarioca and SeatExpert like this.
  3. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    Hello David and thank you for the quick feedback!

Which airline is it that you're referring to? I'd like to look into it and possibly get that fixed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, I left out the airline .. United.

-David

jbcarioca and SeatExpert like this.
  5. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    We based our map off the map United displays, and have reached out to our contacts at United to try to get more information.

Anyone has flown this aircraft lately (or is planning to fly it soon), please let us know if you can confirm or deny the validity of United's map.

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's all the info on the UA 753s ... there are 2 sub-fleets: ex-ATA/ETOPS rated versions and ex-CO non-ETOPS rated versions. The latter is further divided into 2 sets, converted with E+ and DTV and non-converted without E+ and DTV.

UA ETOPs (ex-ATA) 753s do not have power. the ex-CO 753s do have power. UA's seat map version 1 only reflects the ex-CO converted 753s, because it shows in-seat power in rows 1 - 19. The version 2 seatmap only reflects the ex-CO non-converted 753s.

there are currently 3 different UA 753 configurations:

1. the ex-ATA/ETOPS certified 753s, which all have E+, as per UA version 1 seatmaps, but they have no DTV, and no in-seat power. They have overhead monitors. (the ones I've been on have the newer smaller drop down screens every few rows.)

2. ex-CO converted 753s that map to the version 1 seatmaps (with E+), with DTV and power. These use UA seatmap version 1. So these have UA's domestic AVOD system, DTV with some pre-recorded content and they have in-seat power in selected rows.

3. ex-CO 753s not yet converted, and lack E+ (except for the few ELR rows) and DTV, but have power. All of these will eventually get E+ and DTV and become #2 in the list. These use UA seatmap version 2, at least until the last one is converted, then UA seatmap version 2 can be retired.

I think it's difficult to figure out which version you are likely to get unless you are flying to Hawaii. At least until you can find the a/c number scheduled for a particular flight.

None of them are capable of "channel 9".

I've flown the ex-ATA in F (ETOPs only, that's what they fly to Maui now unfortunately) and didn't even bother to look for power.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19395942-post1680.html snd various other posts in that thread confirm this also you can look at the UA fleet site maintained by some FTers: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

I hope you are not going to rely on UAs seatmaps as anything other than a starting point.

-David

7. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    We definitely use the seat maps provided on airline sites as a starting point, but then rely on customer feedback for most everything else.

Someone at United wrote back to us and confirmed what you wrote in your last post (You provided much more detail, so thank you) and that they would be updating their own website this week with changes. They will also be adding in-seat power to their version 1 planes, but a time table on that was not given to us for that.

Thank you for all that feedback and the new information will be reflected on SeatExpert soon :)

jbcarioca and LIH Prem like this.
  8. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points:
    KLM's 747-Combi config has exit slides that really cut into the window seat. I know 9A is affected and if my memory is right the same is true for rows 21 and 35 on both sides of the plane. You can see how big the door is in row 9 in my review of that row: modhop .com/wp-admin/post.php?post=1657&action=edit

[Meh - Milepost won't let me post full links yet because I'm technically still new. Just take out the space in between 'modhop' and '.com' in the link above.]

Kalboz, SeatExpert and jbcarioca like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you want us to edit your post? ;) If not, perhaps the URL you really mean is

http://www.modhop.com/klm_boeing_747/

SeatExpert, modhop and jbcarioca like this.
  10. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Snark-Dog!

11. Bill N DC

Bill N DC Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the offer. I usually use SeatGuru but it has the United 787 wrong concerning the wing placement - your UA 787 diagram is much better. Course my profile pic (left) shows the best UA 787 seat :D

I'll start using ur site and will be glad to send comments.

Kalboz and SeatExpert like this.
  12. Bill N DC

Bill N DC Active Member

Status Points:
    Now I remember why I haven't used your site - it's out dated :( - at least in the comment sections I just looked at CX, BA, AA the BA 747 makes no mention of 'New First' " First Class has older (but still very nice)":oops: You have the new AA 77W the comments for the others refer to improvements coming in 2009. I'd recommend working on reviewing/updating the comment sections first, also include the last update date. thanks

Kalboz and SeatExpert like this.
  13. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback Bill. We're tackling these types of updates now and really trying to get our site up to date. We thought MP would be a good place to gather some feedback while we're in the process of it all and to help us make the order of our list of updates.

That said, I'll pass along that comment sections for those need to be fixed as soon as we can.

14. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    Just watched your video review and that kind of thing is perfect for us! While we will make that specific change, I feel that I'll have to investigate some more of your reviews in the near future. Thank you.

modhop likes this.
  15. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding AA's MD80's, all versions.

First, in the rows fore of the overwing exit rows, only the window seats 19AF, 20AF have restricted recline. The aisle and middle seats BDE have normal recline.

There's a version of this aircraft (I think the ex-TWA planes) where the exit row tray tables are on the seat in front and the armrests are normal. I'd guess I see this about 20% of the time. I don't know any way to detect this online, before boarding.

All versions of this aircraft now have seats 31AB & 32AB where the rear-most galley once was. Your seat maps show that only on version 3. You have 31AB as red/undesirable, and there are drawbacks, but there is one positive: as bulkhead seats, there's no one in front of you, which can be a great thing if you want to use a laptop in flight.

The description also says that "All coach seats forward of the exit rows actually still have 'More Room Throughout Coach' pitch, while those aft of the exit rows have reduced pitch". I'll admit I've never gotten out a tape measure, but as I recall, the MRTC planes had 4 rows in F on the right, and 3 on the left; when they added the seats 6AB, they did compress the legroom in coach on the AB side from rows 7-19.

SeatExpert and Kalboz like this.
  16. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL 757-200ER

19F does, indeed, have extra leg room.... as in one leg. Right leg is completely immobile due to exit door and padding protruding from in front of you. It also has no personal video screen. i would give it a red. best case: orange.

SeatExpert likes this.
  17. dingrien

dingrien Member

Status Points:
    Delta MD90 seat 10c in economy comfort is terrible due to the turn the row makes after first class. Almost every passenger passing me hit me with either their bag or body and not just brushing me. Then when the attendants pushed the food carts back from first class area they rammed my seat each time. Twice they asked the last person in first class on the opposite side to put his seat up so they could navigate the turn. I wrote them and told them they need to remove 10c for the safety of their passengers.

SeatExpert and Kalboz like this.
  18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Active Member

Status Points:
    An offline app would be great. I sometimes want to check seat configurations when I'm on the plane! SeatGuru has an app but it only works when online.

SeatExpert, modhop and Kalboz like this.
  19. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    United Airlines
    Airbus A319

The last Row in F (2) says unlimited recline. This is not quite right - there is a cabin divider between the last row and Coach and often the recline is restricted by jackets/coats stores on the coach hook located on the cabin divider.

SeatExpert likes this.
  20. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points:
    The transcon version (international when I flew it) was the reason I started modhop. I was so angry that seatguru gave this a green or (at best) yellow that I took a picture and turned it into my first ever blog post.

http://www.modhop.com/delta-757-intl/

SeatExpert and mrredskin like this.
  21. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    what i think is worse is that they have further reduced legroom by ADDING padding around that area. it adds an extra 1.5-2" of bulk. i'm just glad my recent knee scope was on the left knee so i could stretch it completely out. right leg was not happy after landing

SeatExpert likes this.
  22. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    Hello everyone and thank you

Your feedback is now on the top of our list to be added and we're getting started as I write this. This is exactly the type of information we're looking for and we hope you keep providing it as we continue to add updates and new maps. We've made some changes here at SeatExpert and are striving to get our website updated, much of which includes updated maps from airlines. The best changes, however, are like those specific ones above that can make our website the most informative it can be.

We have changes to the feedback system on SeatExpert.com in the works, but for now this is the best place to find us.

Thanks again!

23. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi SE-

Just looking at my notes while putting together my review of the latest config of the Delta MD90. Seats 36 A and B have extra legroom. There's a sort of half-bulkhead that might not let the tallest of passengers get full extension in the A seat, but the B-seat gets to extend fully into the exit area (where the rear galley once was).

Also 10E allows full extension into the aisle of first class.

SeatExpert likes this.
  24. SeatExpert

Status Points:
    Thanks a bunch modhop! Changed 36 A-B to add the perks.

modhop likes this.