Seat Selection Weirdness

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking in today, I encountered a weird seat map issue.

CR2, two separate bookings for my wife and myself. When I made reservations, there weren't any pairs of empty seats, so I got 1D and she got 3D.

Now it's time to check in. First I check in myself, and find when taking a look at the seat map during checkin that 1C is available. So I quickly complete my checkin and open up my wife's booking. Look at it from the reservation screen (not checkin). 1C is shown as occupied. Rats.

Move on to check her in. Check seat map again as part of the checkin process, 1C is empty, so I grab it.

While there is, of course, the chance that someone was picking and then releasing 1C at the same time, I think that's not very likely. Is there any other reason why this seat would only be available during checkin? (we both have the same status, Gold)

2. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are always some seats held until checkin, typically in the first row, so they can be used for bassinets, disabled pax, etc. You can usually grab them at checkin with the caveat that you *could* get bumped from them if they are legitimately needed.

On external sites like EF, these will show as "blocked". (Though not all blocked seats will become available as they could be blocked for other reasons such as crew rest).

MX likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That I knew, but I figured it was "until checkin TIME", not "until using checkin process".