seat selection on Delta.com

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    pita doing exit row seat selection on a TATL itinerary I booked yesterday.
    It's a four segment trip, two segments on connection planes and two on 767's. I was able to pick the exit rows on the connection segments the first go around, but I couldn't select exit anything in comfort economy on the 767's. When I tried I got a little popup saying that only special people can select comfort economy or exit rows. (I'm a PM)
    I pulled the trigger, bought the ticket knowing I'd come right back to select.

Came back in, only one of the exit rows had stuck on the connex flights, the other segment got moved to a different seat. Reselected that, and this time I was able to pick the exits on the 767's. Saved all, filled out the exit row qualifier popup (which is designed to require a scroll-down to get to the checkbox on Firefox, unnecessary and awkward bit of design). Checked, and this time I had the exits on the two connex flights but not on the 767's. Repeat the process, using the save and continue button to move between seat maps, and was able to get one 767. Had to repeat the process one more time to get the last seat.

Never had this particular problem in the past, I'd been able to get seats for all segments at once, and it wouldn't tell me in one screen that I had the seat then switch it in the next screen. I'm going to check back every few days and make sure I don't lose my seats. :(

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, dl.com has been a PITA for online seat assignments for several months....super annoying. I've just called and had no problem getting the seat I wanted so long as it was available. :)

traveller99, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently had an impossibility to select the A side on an EMB170 in FC. After a few problems I called the Diamond desk who told me that there is a bug for seat selection on several aircraft that affects, according to her, upgraded seats and premium seats, not allowing Elites to select their options, while allowing non-upgraded/premium selections normally. She fixed my problems but it took a call. PITA!

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    why do they keep breaking things that used to work? I know web development is complex, but still...

That is exactly what I encountered.

Lufthansa Flyer, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think DL is as responsive to Elites as anybody and they are really good in the air too, but the website has so many glitches...that really needs serious attention. No one of them is a deal-breaker, but all that manual work and rework must really cost them a fortune, not to mention customer dissatisfaction. You are spot on, IMHO.

6. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So true. It would be easier and cheaper to fix the problem.

DeltaExpert, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a moment I thought I was in the United forum :)

Indeed, it must be hugely expensive for the airlines. Aren't the profit margins on many tickets razor thin? How can they afford to force human interventions such as seat selections or confirmation of schedule changes when a working web interface would be so much cheaper and increase customer satisfaction? I imagine any call to reservations/customer service must cost them at least $10. So if I have a $200 ticket with a $10 profit margin, that goes right out the window the moment I call to have them fix something that I'd rather fix myself online.

savydog, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, the ticket for which I had to call was $219. That must have cost them close to 20% of the gross ticket price, because I had to call twice.

OTOH, my $6500 ticket shortly before that one managed all changes online. Of course there were no Elite benefits nor upgrades involved since it was a C ticket anyway.

traveller99 likes this.