Seat Selection on BA -- what are the rules?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, May 25, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked one of those (for me) rare business trips. Coach to India. Woohoo!

I have no status with BA (put my AS MVP account in the reservation), so I fully expected to not be able to select a seat until checkin time (or pay out of my own pocket for it). But when I looked up the reservation on ba.com, it turned out that I could select seats for free. I couldn't find any fare rules on ba.com, but I don't think it's a flexible ticket. Do they have special arrangements for bookings coming out of corporate travel systems? (I couldn't select seats in my company's travel system).

redtailshark likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry.
    Be happy.

And for goodness' sake however this happened, don't post here about it... BA don't like it that you can select seats in advance without paying - see the threads of outrage on the BA board over at FT, including from paid J pax, dating back years on this topic e.g. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/937683-ba-seat-shifters.html

And even if you do select a seat, BA are notorious for seat-shifting often with no notice just prior to departure therefore leaving you no time and few remaining seating options to fix it with...don't count on actually flying in the seat you see now.

Notice that when these complaints percolate from the expert user base at FT to the more ubiquitous TA forums, you know there's a systemic issue:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k8356539-o20-BA_switched_my_seat-Air_Travel.html

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points: