Seat Recommendations on Int'l 752 and (dom) 753

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Oct 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a trip over the pond (SFO-IAD-MAN). Domestic on 753 and TATL on the Int'l 752. Will try to get the domestic 753 segments upgraded with my surplus RPUs. Fare class doesn't allow me to try and use my last GPU.

Right now I have exit row (21, aisle) booked on all legs. Have only once flown on the Int'l 752 and that was in the first row of E+ (7A). My only ever 753 flight was in F to Hawaii a couple of years ago.

Question: are the exit rows on these aircraft similar to the exit rows on the domestic sUA 752? Or any reason to book a regular E+ aisle or window seat?

Newscience likes this.
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done the TATL 752 in Y several times. I typically book row 2 of Y+ simply because I find the fixed armrests annoying for a flight that long, and I'd rather have some underseat storage... but that's just my preference.

If there's two of you traveling... we typically play the game of booking an Aisle and Window, and have a 80ish percent success rate of getting an empty middle seat... something booking a bulkhead with fixed armrests sort of negates. I've actually not flown a domestic 753 in years, so I can't comment if the exit rows are the same.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's going to be just me.

Have they downgraded the 752s or 753s with those aweful A320-style slimline seats?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they haven't.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please note the 753 is a pmCO 753 and for bigger men like me and Steve, first class is in someways worse than economy. Why? Because the first class seats have no countouring - it's a straight back. It's MIGHTILY uncomfortable on the lower and upper back. Yes, it's a much wider seat with more legroom, no question. But for my back, I've been removing CPU requests from the system when I get stuck on a transcon 753 because the first set of exit row seat is so much easier on my back. [Plane is also annoying because it's HUGE and takes forever to load/unload.]

As for TATL 752, I'm on one of those for the first time next Sunday, but in J. I think if I were doing Y, I'd book 21C/D every time.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately I don't have back issues. ;)

Garp74 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Definitely planning on bringing a small inflatable travel pillow for lumbar support. I do recall those "flat like a board" seats. Made me wonder about the designers...

Garp74 likes this.
  8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a lumbar adjustment in those seats.

9. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    which I use every time.

ssullivan likes this.