Seat Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by User4461, Jan 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. User4461

User4461 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone!

I hope I'm posting this question in the right section. I have a flight scheduled in the summer from IAD to LHR and it's my first time on a transatlantic flight in 20yrs. I'm hoping to just buy my seat now but I have a few questions about a few that I have in mind.

According to the seat map and the number of seats, it appears I'll be on a British Airways Boeing 777-200 (4-class). Not 100% sure though.

I would really like a window seat where the window is actually aligned with the seat. Meaning, I'd rather not be in a seat where it's the middle of two windows (if that makes any sense). From watching a few videos, it seems like the even number seats seem to get the aligned windows.

With that information (if accurate) I'm looking at 34k or 36k and possibly even 35k if it comes down to it. I'd like to sit a little farther back, but according to few sites, they claim that 36A/36K are seats that begin to get narrow b/c apparently the fuselage begins to taper in. Is this accurate? and if so, is it really a noticeable difference?

As of right now, I also have an option to pick 39A (twin seats right in the back) but I'm uncertain as to whether they can recline if at all. I also fear being too far back may be slightly more bumpy.

Even though I'm slightly claustrophobic, sitting in a window seat is fine. However, it does help to be seated towards the middle/back section. I've included a screenshot of the seating chart that I get to pick from.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    First, welcome to InsideFlyer! When I look at Seat Guru, I only see a 39K in the 4 class, not 39A (lav there). That doesn't make it so, just my two cents.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about me turbulence in the back. The 772 is a big plane so if there's going to be turbulence it likely will be felt throughout the plane.

Unless you're tall or heavy set, I thinking you'll be fine in 34-36. Wouldn't swear by it, but don't think you'll see taper in row 34.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll add my welcome as well, User4461.

In case you're not familiar with it, the Seat Guru site Pizzaman refers to can be found at www.seatguru.com. It is generally (but not always) accurate, and can tell you about problems not mentioned on the airlines' sites, like seats with equipment under them that block legroom, rows not aligned with windows, drafty seats, etc. Very useful tool.

vik and Pizzaman like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the assist, Counsellor. Your add-on is most helpful!

Counsellor likes this.
  5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where seat guru is great, I'd post in the forum of the airline you are flying on. You may get feed back from people who actually sat in the seat you are considering. Also look at http://www.routehappy.com.

Counsellor likes this.