Seat Partners You Don't Want

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by IMGone, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the first time, the Acela business seat wasn't comfortable, and I felt like there was a fight for the armrest. It amazes me how long it's been since I've had to deal with this, and how totally po'ed I am at the fool next to me. It's not like he's oversized, just rude and oblivious.

The guy kept putting his elbows wide as he types, took a good 15 minutes to get his earphones plugged into the right socket (and it was loud!) and is sitting their muttering to himself as he works on his laptop, This is a 3 hour trip that was feeling way too long by the end.

2soonold and Casey Friday like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this Amtrak-specific? :D

IMGone likes this.
  3. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sure is outside of the NE corridor. I almost always end up sitting next to some sort of crazy or drunk or some combination there of.

I live in Kansas City, Mo. and frequently take the Missouri River Runner to St. Louis. People hop on with coolers full of beer and slurred speech. I guess that's what I get for living in Missouri, but I sure do love when I happen to travel on in a fairly empty car.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone I'd love to ride the rails with is Seat 2A

Quasiconvexity and alphaeagle like this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, whenever I travel by air, that happens to me. Except I like crazies and drunks.

Rlpro, Freddie Listo and Chamonix like this.
  6. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live along the "college" route in IL, so it's pretty much all coolers and drunks going back and forth. If they didn't offer the business car i would not ever be able to hop the train to Chicago. Of course, I've had the coolers and drunks in BIZ too, but it's less overwhelming.

7. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been on that route as well. Definitely risky as there are frequent loud folks.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  8. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not always too bad, just have to make sure to avoid the evening trains that have the most student traffic, like, the night before a three day weekend, that kind of thing. Sometimes that's unavoidable, though. I find the early morning train is usually a good bet, and sometimes I take the middle of the night City of New Orleans, but that comes with it's own cast of characters, lol. (and they've been on the train for hours and hours at that point!)

9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happens in the NE corridor too. The late night trains from BWI to Union Station on Thurs-Sat are usually full of drunk guys coming back from the various "venues" in Baltimore.

10. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Block burned down late last year. Which "venues" are left? [​IMG]

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know...haven't taken that late train from BWI in a while. Maybe it's gotten better with fewer draws in Baltimore.

12. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't get the joys of coach Amtrak (quiet car) seating any more since they took the Silver Palm away. But when I do get to travel Amtrak I get a sleeper ... no companion issues.

2soonold likes this.
  13. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worst I had was a woman who loudly chewed the same piece of gum from boarding in Chicago through at least Columbus WI. Probably longer but I became a lounge lixard at that point.

kayet and Gargoyle like this.
  14. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't deal with seat mates very well on Amtrak. If I don't have my permanent seat mate with me, (or if she's ticked), I'll just spread out in the dining car.

Worst seat mate i had was on the Acela. I knew I was in for it when I heard someone basically yell at the conductor, "I have a BUSINESS class ticket! Where is the BUSINESS class car!?"

She was less than thrilled when he replied "Lady this whole train is business class!"

15. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really can't stand it when the car attendant assigns you a seat number (outside the Northeast Corridor). I want to select from any vacant seat. A bunch of seats have no window, and others have low-lifes as discussed in this thread.

There are many Amtrak trains I won't ride because of this problem. Sorry Amtrak, you lose the revenue.

16. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaHa! I've just started riding the Crescent. One crowded day, my seat mate turned out to be a decent guy who loved smokes and cheap wine more than bathing:eek:.
    Also have had some trips with other peoples kids using portable DVD players without headphones.:rolleyes:
    You never see pictures of these things in Amtrak promotional literature.:p:D

17. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a lovely young gentleman on the overnight Lakeshore Express from Chicago sitting next to me. He offered to share a baggie of very illegal drugs with me. I was not amused. I promised that I would never ride the train again.

Yet here I am, having just moved back to Chicago holding a ticket for the same route Thursday night. Now I'm just hoping that they resume service on the line by then!

Flyer1976 and Quasiconvexity like this.