Seat Enhancement

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received this...sounds like it may be a minor enhancement for those who can access preferred seating, and a way to nickel and dime (and crowd) those who can't. I mostly fly short-haul on E190's operated by Sky Regional and others and haven't seen the enhanced seating on any of my flights yet.

Being a highflier like you means that you have the privilege to stretch out and enjoy extra legroom in Preferred Seats when you travel with Air Canada. We’re happy to announce that there will soon be more Preferred Seats to choose from.

Beginning April 7, 2014, we’re expanding the amount of Preferred Seats by reconfiguring the first few rows of the Economy Class cabin, offering up to 4 extra inches of legroom. This will be available on most Air Canada and Air Canada Express aircraft operating within North America. Here’s a preview of the timelines for the rollout of additional Preferred Seats, by aircraft type:

•Airbus A320 and Embraer 175 aircraft, completed by April 7, 2014

•Airbus A321 aircraft, completed by early June

•Airbus A319 and Embraer 190 aircraft, completed by late June

What this means for you

As we finish reconfiguring each aircraft type, you’ll continue to enjoy the same access to Preferred Seats as you do today, based on your Altitude status and the fare option purchased. Once the first few rows of the Economy Class cabin become Preferred Seats, other customers will be eligible to purchase these seats for a fee.

For flights operated with our international fleet of Airbus A330, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787 aircraft, there will be no changes made to the availability of Preferred Seats. Altitude members will continue to enjoy priority access to the seats in the first few rows of the Economy Class cabin.

With more Preferred Seats than ever, you can continue to count on enhanced comfort when you travel.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like everyone wants in on the Y+ product. They can, as you said, offer them to their "high-flying" customers as a perk, and sell them otherwise. Not a bad thing, right?

3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over on the other board there are a lot of upset E50K's who are pointing out this represents a reduction in benefits for them since in the past they had access to all the "preferred" seats whereas now they only have access to bulkheads and would have to pay for the other ones or get stuck at the back of the plane with less legroom than they enjoy today.

I think AC will eventually offer lower tier Altitude members the opportunity to "upgrade" for free to these seats at some maximum time prior to departure.

Wonder if there is some sort of quid pro quo planned with United for cross-access to preferred and E+.

Smart move by AC to introduce E+ without removing seats. If handled right they please their status members and generate some incremental revenue from these seats. Poor execution and communication will however only further alienate a big group of E50/35's.

I'm hoping the real benefit will be higher likelihood empty middle seats in the preferred section for the benefit of status members rather than full front and empty back as is the case today.

maradori likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't get the impression that AC is particularly concerned with the E50/E35 crowd. I wouldn't be surprised to see E35 downgraded to P35.

5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that P35 could happen but I think AC alienates their E50's at their peril. That is a lot of their bread and butter business. I'd wager that most E50's (notwithstanding the relatively small number in the big picture who are active on these boards) are very far from bottom feeders.

tomh009 likes this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose that we won't really know how AC views us all (individual tier placements notwithstanding) until they breathlessly announce the next round of 'enhancements'.

All in all, though: I buy my tickets in order to obtain transport, and I always bear in mind that the journey is not the destination.

The Lev and YULtide like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tho' the journey is nicer in 1A. ;)

mevlannen likes this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I shall confess that I vastly prefer to book seat 1D on all aircraft: that makes it ever so much simpler to find my seat without looking at the boarding-pass.

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Further to the above, had an interesting chat with the fellow in 1F on my most recent YYZ>YVR hop. He allowed how as he always booked 1A, whereas I confessed my habit to book 1D. He asked me "why" and I explained how the serendipity of random row-neighbours tended to play out as new, unexpected business connections.

Far as I am concerned, that chance of making connections, or at the very least learning something new outside one's own field of expertise, is one of the greatest benefits of riding in the front cabin.

All of which of course leads me to ask: can any of you think of any downside (other, perhaps, than sheer cost differential) to riding up front?

YULtide likes this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cost is the obvious one, but there can also be a negative perception/resentment (depending on the industry where you work) as employees, customers and/or suppliers file past you to sit in the back of the bus.

mevlannen likes this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just smile graciously and then enjoy the flight. :)

mevlannen likes this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to claim that I'd be half-asleep under my blanket by the time the Y pax file past, but truth is, whoever's in 1F still has to clamber past me whether I am asleep or not. Best to wait until the majority of the pax have loaded; in any case, I can assure all and sundry that nobody's ever heard of me (outside of this august coterie of travellers) and there's no risk of a DYKWIA situation erupting.

....your friendly sleepy grandmother in 1D

maradori and YULtide like this.