Seat configuration changes, seat worsens, what's the protocol?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    When you are fortunate enough to pick an emergency exit aisle seat on a 9+ hour TATL flight, and then a day before the flight the configuration is different, and not only are you not in an emergency exit row, but not even economy plus, while I know we have no "rights" per se to anything, but as more experienced flyers than I am, do you just suck it up to bad luck, or is there something you normally ask of the airline? What seems most odd though, is that every E+seat appears occupied, even ones in the middle of a 2-5-2 configuration.

Thanks to the amazing generosity of some of the community, (lodhiak and canucklehead) I am wait listed for an upgrade and hope it comes through, but would it be at all helpful to call customer service and ask them to clear it now as a courtesy?

For what it's worth, it's a Y class ticket, flight 903 from MUC-IAD which shows quite a few business (and first) class seats open (for now). Oh, also, if it matters, I am UA Premium Executive / CO Platinum.

Thanks all!
    Dave

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're on a Y fare basis or an economy ticket? and have a SWU applied? You will clear at the Airport if there's no NC open at the moment...

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming it's a 777 new to old swap, correct?
    Bummer, and has happen to me once before and have just had to just "suck it up" as you said and try to avoid the 777's until configurations are completed (unless confirmed NC availability).
    But, as DIG/R_1K said, if you are on a true Y fare you have a very good chance for the UG.
    Good luck and let us know how this works out.

4. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Thanks AZ and Dig on your replies -- Y fare basis, and an SWU applied. Currently the only one showing up on the upgrade list on the united app. There appear to be about 7 or 8 seats in business (and 6 more in first) still open so I have hopes. I've never flown anything other than economy (and plus) but I'm hopeful that i'll see what's so special about those restrooms up front that us mere coach mortals aren't permitted to see :)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's tomorrow MUC-IAD there's atleast 6 seats left and it's the old config 777

6. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    yes, it's the one for tomorrow - flight 903 - up until this morning, it was showing the other, I guess, newer, configuration, and at that time, I was in seat 33C which was an emergency exit row. Now I'm in 33C which is a plain old aisle and somehow all of the E+ is gone .... (hmmmm....)

I return home two days later on the 25th, flight 902, and that on that one, too, I have an emergency exit aisle, but if they change planes on me again, once again, I would imagine I'll be sent packing. I wish I had any idea how they reassign seats once there's a configuration change. While I am 10000% understanding that a Prem Exec on Y class is trumped by a lot of other categories, it's still got to be in the top 20% of those on the plane .... so you would think that at a MINIMUM, they would have looked to see who was in the better economy plus seats and made sure they were at least moved into an economy plus seat afterwards.

Of course, I am nearly as certain that there ARE plenty of E+ seats there, and I have NO doubt that if I don't get my upgrade, an E+ aisle (non-emergency row) seat will magically appear, but it's all part of the game....

7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ohhh, I think I know what the issue is regarding not getting re-assigned E+ seats. If you are in exit seats on either new (row 33) or old (row 30), these are not E+ seats. Thus, they didn't move you to E+ seats. I guess the best plan is to pick a common E+ seat on both configs, thus you will be OK when/if they swap (same goes for C seats too)

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH Tommy777 has another SWU available if you needed it David for the return flug.

9. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Ah, good to know! You know what the funny thing is though -- I have been in those emergency exit rows a few times (I take this exact same itinerary 7 times per year) and they are marked economy plus on the plane, but I guess not on the seating charts. I know this because (and only now does it make sense to me) on a few different occasions I have had a flight attendant come back and I heard her mumble something about "oh this row is E+ too. I guess it was important because they don't let people in coach just move up to E+ without charging them something on their credit card.

AZjohn likes this.
  10. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Thank you DIG, amazingly, even another complete stranger gave me 15K miles to upgrade my return flight. Wait listed on that one too, but we'll see!

That reminds me, I wanted to start another post thread on that ....

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I didn't want to sound like it made any common sense that they aren't classified as E+ seats, just that they aren't. There are also several other planes that have the same issue. But trust me, I would take any exit seat over a normal E+ seat;)