Seat assignments, United Airlines

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dixhill, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dixhill

Dixhill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked 2 business award tickets from US to Melbourne, Australia on September 2013. I am unable to make any seat assignments! When will I be able to pick our seats? Thanks!

8MiHi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had this problem twice this year where one of my segments overseas (EWR-SFO-HNL and EWR-ORD-HKG-SIN) would not allow seating. I contacted customer service to get seating for the SFO-HNL segment in June for an August flight. They got me seated, then it disappeared, then it came back within a few days. I have a flight to SIN in May of next year and I do not have a seat yet for the HKG-SIN leg. Its possible that they have not settled on which aircraft they will be flying at that time despite the listing of a 747-400 in the reservation. Be persistent because you really do not want to go to check-in without an assigned seat. IME the probability of being bumped goes up when that happens.

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your flights are 11 months out. You have time yet for them to shuffle their deck chairs. Keep checking, but I wouldn't be overly concerned for a few months.

4. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this applies to you or not but in April I booked award miles to Sydney and then home from Auckland through UAL. Other than the flight to SFO, all the other flights were on partner airplanes. I asked for my Record Locator number from United for airlines (UAL record locator is different than Asiana's record locator) and then called the other airlines directly for sea assignment while looking at seatguru.com. This flight was 10 months out when I was able to get seats.

8MiHi, edekba and LizzyDragon84 like this.