Seat Assignments on QF domestic flights (award booking)?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by ACPanda, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently used QF points for a QF business class domestic flight. I had expected at some point during the booking process to be allowed to assign seats. Alas, to the best of my recollection a seat assignment option was never presented and when I check the record online I do not see any menu to assign/change seats.

Is this because it is a domestic flight or an award booking, or for some reason did I just not see the option as I was booking?

2. NZM

NZM

There is no option during the booking process to select seats. However you can go back into your booking under "Manage My Booking" and enter a seating preference (such as Aisle or Window) which will take taken into account. Then when on-line Check-in opens you can use that process to select a seat that the Qantas computer decides it wants to make available to you. The seats available to select will be based upon your FF status and the fare type ypur have booked (award in your case).

3. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ability to request seats on a domestic flight is determined by your frequent flyer status. For bronze it is not available, for silver is and above it should be available from booking time up until three hours prior to departure.

4. NZM

NZM

Its actually based on OneWorld FF status. As an AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) I can select seats for QF domestic segments. But the seat selection is does through "Manage Your Booking" and not at the time of making the booking.

5. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    While that is true, the OP said they were using QF points, so selection would have been made on their QFF status.

6. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While you cannot select your seats online, seeing as you’re flying J, I’m sure the service centre wouldn’t refuse allocating you a seat over the phone. Just call them up when you have some time.

While the system works as it is for status passengers gradually seeing more seats, you would think for J and above you’d always be able to select seats, as the fare is significantly higher. [​IMG]

7. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe it or not, BA charges for Club World pax to pre-select seats (!!)

8. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..... only if you don't have oneworld sapphire or higher.

9. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still seems unreasonable given the class paid for…

10. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the highest fare bucket in each cabin (i.e. F, J, W(?) and Y) do not have to pay to pre-select regardless of status (or lack of same). But if you're on a discounted or reward fare in any cabin, then you have to stump up the cash (unless your'e OWS/OWE of course)

11. NZM

NZM

This is correct for BA.

12. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is so. I should have been more specific...my post was in response to posts #7, #8 ,#9. [​IMG]