Seat assignments canceled on A320

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a flight coming up on the A320, be sure to watch to seat maps carefully. DL has been removing the last row of FC and canceling all seat assignments on the map, even though your itinerary may indicate that your seat assignment is unchanged. Be sure to click to see the seat map. Do not trust the seat assignment on your itinerary. You might want to double-check by attempting a dummy booking on your flights.

I have an A320 flight next week and was upgraded at my DM window. I was automatically assigned an aisle seat but it was in row 4. Last night all looked well but I was thinking of voluntarily putting myself into a window seat in order to be more protected if the configuration were to be changed at the last minute. Today my itinerary continued to show the same seat assignment, but when I looked at the seat map, there was no row 4 in FC. All FC seat assignments were cancelled overnight according to the map and I was able to select a seat that previously had been assigned to someone before the upgrade window. (There were fewer than twelve folks confirmed in FC, so there currently is space for all, but I managed to bag my favorite aisle seat now.)

In addition, all coach seats were cancelled last night. What was a full flight now appears completely open with only one assigned coach seat and lots of windows and aisles available to nonelites.

iolaire, BamaGirl, sobore and 2 others like this.
  2. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep - since the 320's are going to only 3 rows of 1st better to pick 1, 2 or 3 to be safe for now! On my last flight the computers did not know so the GA had to walk on and just SEE if there were 3 or 4 rows in 1st before she cleared upgrades!

desamo and sobore like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but even with seats in the first three rows, they are being cancelled even though the seat assignment apparently remains in one's itinerary. I would have been worse off if I had moved myself to the first three rows yesterday because I probably would not have checked the seat map again before OLCI.

Note also that all seat assignments in coach were cancelled too, even in sections where seat numbers remain the same with no change in or out of exit row designations.

sobore and deltaGOLDflyer like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    and Delta claims to be increasing FC availability !

DTWBOB

deltaGOLDflyer and MSPeconomist like this.
  5. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? Pretty much all full size jets of that size that I've ever been on have had 4 rows of F.

6. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its to make way for the Economy Comfort seats on each flight. On the 320 and the 738's (someone tell me if I am missing a class of a/c) they are removing a first class row instead of taking out a row of economy.

7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting

8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think it's just the 320s and not the 738s. It sucks, but it makes sense to re-align the 319s and 320s so that they can be more readily swapped like NW did.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Around the time of the merger, Anderson supposedly said that the airline could not make money on A319s with four rows of FC. Re-doing the A320s now might also be part of that vision in that there would be other ways to install EC without removing FC if one wanted to do so. Fewer FC seats means that it's easier to sell FC seats at higher fares and if they can then add a few coach seats and sell those too, so that the plane carries slightly more passengers without having to add an FA, it can be even more profitable.

chaz4449 likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could have realigned them with 16 FC to match not only the 738 but also the DC-9.

mtkeller likes this.
  11. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist. I just checked one of my itineraries for which I had booked 4A. Sure enough, no row 4 on the seat map now. Even though I am on a full F (not P or A) fare, I am glad you pointed this out. The last time something like this happened, I ended up flying in coach when the GA wouldn't relent. And, then there were the ensuing emails trying to get compensation straightened out :mad:...At least this time, I should be ahead of the curve. And, will definitely continue checking this reservation.

12. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you on a Full F fare or other paid F? There should have been no question about a refund!

13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two more warm bodies per packed plane...

To para-quote a famous saying from the French Revolution -- let them sit in coach !!!

DTWBOB

chaz4449 likes this.
  14. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let them sit in coach for MORE money!

15. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full F

16. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a friend at DL check out who ended up in first on the flight after the event. If everyone had been paid first, it would've been my bad luck (though I still would've asked for compensation). Turns out there plenty of folks who had been given the complimentary upgrades. The GA was too lazy to move one of them even after I pointed out I was on a full F fare (not A or P), and asked if there were others in FC who had received complimentary upgrades. The issue for reimbursement was over which coach fare the amount should be based. Obviously, DL wanted that days amount, which was considerably less than the difference in the amount between Coach and FC when I booked my travel. Eventually, DL did the right thing in regard to compensation and claimed the GA would be receiving remedial training. .

17. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly, but the odds of them putting those four seats back into the 319s were not good.

18. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heed the warning and get out of row 4 if you can. I didn't need to move as I was already in 3, but the plane was swapped out. They are calling these A320's (SR), which I assume means "short range".

FC seat spacing is definitely moved closer together (along with the Y bulkhead) and they kept normal seat numbering (consecutive) vs. the DL numbering where row 10 is the first Y seat. F seat numbers are in Blue, Y seat numbers are in red (for all you FO travelers).

I can't remember if the seat trays were on the seat back or in the arm rest, but they are located in the arm rest.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does the reduced FC space compare to EC now? Is there much difference except in width (3-3 vrsus 2-2)?

20. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there was EC on this bird (it was 3-3 in Y), I did not notice any difference.

21. bennos

bennos Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is they went to 12F on the A320 because of the positioning of the exit row, and how that related to the layout of the EC seats. Had they wanted swappability (which isn't something DL generally seems to care about), they would have taken the A320 to 12F back when the A319 lost a row.

22. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The red row numbers were for EC. The row numbers beyond EC will be blue.

23. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, that's right. If smooth swappability mattered, there wouldn't be 600 757 configurations. Was looking at UA seat maps the other day and couldn't believe there were only TWO 757 configs (probably gets a bit more complicated when CO aircraft are considered, but not DL+NW complicated).

traveller99 and USAF_Pride like this.
  24. bennos

bennos Silver Member

Status Points:
    At one of the DOs, a DL person mentioned an intention to get down to 4 757-200 configs: 8 door TATL (75E), 10 door TATL (75A), 8 door domestic (75N), and 10 door domestic (everything else). Not sure if they ever made any progress on this.