Seat assignment when changing FF program

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jul 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am EC Bronze, which apparently lets me choose seats seven days prior to departure.

I would like to credit to AS. If I choose my seat at T-7 and then switch the frequent flyer program/number from BA to AS, will I keep my seat?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't count on it. BA has reportedly introduced a robotic that sweeps reservations for free seat pre-allocations to which passengers are no longer entitled.

So if you are BAEC Silver and pick a seat at 6 months out, and drop to BAEC Bronze at 3 months out (so you are't entitled at that point to a free pre-allocation), the robotic will cancel the pre-allocation.

Whether you'd keep yours depends on whether the robotic will be run on your flight after you pick your seat and before you check-in. If it is, then you could well lose the pre-allocation.

Why don't you wait until after you've checked-in, and then change the FF number at the airport?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was going to do that. First segment is AS, so presumably if I get the AS agent to change it, that would work? Or do I have to get a BA agent to do it?

The problem with the seat assignment would be for the return flight, though, which is within the 7 days. I.e., I would by the time of checkin for the outbound already have selected the return seat.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have much experience of doing this, but if you get the BA agent to change the FF number on sector 2 of your outbound journey, my guess is that this will only change it for that flight (as it will only change it in DCS or whatever the name of the current system is) and not for the whole booking (ie it doesn't actually change anything in your primary PNR). The same may well apply if the AS agent does it.

Someone who's tried this complication may know more.

Newscience likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, you mean those paid J pax who aren't entitled to selection until T-24? Muahaha! Classic Dilbertism.