Seat Assignment Charge - $25

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by impsycho, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced a seat assignment charge when calling AA Plat desk. I called to get a seat assignment on a AA flight operated by Alaska and was told that I need to pay $25 to get a seat assignment. I was told that I could get me seat on AA.com or call my travel department for a seat assignment. I can't choose a seat on the flight through AA.com and the best seat that I can get from my travel agent is the back of the plane. All very interesting since I received an email from AA regarding the partnership between AA and Alaska and the additional benefits for Plat members. Anyone else with the same experience.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Based on what I've highlighted in your post above, it sounds like you did not book this flight through AA, correct?

If so you are probably encountering the external reservation handling fee (ERHF): LINK. Essentially, since you booked through someone other than AA, you should be using them to handle the reservation. AA will charge you a fee to take care of the ticket. Typically this isn't a problem on AA metal since you can select your seat online, but partner metal is different. AA.com does not allow you to select seats on partner airlines. Yet. ;)

Have you tried asking for the Alaska Airlines (AS) PNR so you can to go alaskair.com and try selecting a seat on their website?

rwoman likes this.
  3. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendation about asking for the AS PNR.

rwoman likes this.
  4. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is how I selected seats on AA.com for a AA flight that I booked through BA. I just searched for the flight on AA to get the PNR. Maybe AS allows you to find it online, too?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would make sense. I am in the middle of a trip with a mixed AA and UA itinerary. Booked through UA which shows the AA confirmation number in my UA acct. Regardless, AA should have the AS confirmation number available.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AS's online search asks for PNR or e-ticket #. I'm not sure if the AA e-ticket # is valid for this option.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know with DL, when flying AS, I've had to call and get the PNR for AS. I've also called and an agent looked the info up based on trip details.