seat assigned to unassigned within 3 days. Can this happen?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kayjay, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked my AA trip through Iberia in Jan 2011 for my trip in couple of days. After making the reservation in Iberia.com and I went to AA.com to choose my seats,which was confirmed. Last Friday, I called AA to add my sister's Aadvantage #, but AA agent mentioned that she can't do it, only iberian airlines can do changes and put me on hold and told that I need to do this airport.

All well until now, when I logged in to see my reservation, seats were unassigned. Called AA, the CSR esplained something happened on Friday while adding the AAdvantage # of my sister and hence they lost the seat assigned. Now she can't go online and do any changes. I have to go to the airport before check in and do the seat assignment.

Can you beleive this?
    Another reason why I hate AA.
    What should have happened? Will I be able to get all my seats back?

2. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really sure why this happened. When I have had reservations that were on partner airlines (in my case BA), I had to go through the BA website using a BA account but with the confirmation code of the reservations made through AA. Have you tried to do anything through the IB website? You may have to register through them and get an account set up, but you may be able to make seat changes there.

Wait...you made reservations for AA flights through IB? Yeah, you should be able to get seat assignment online through the AA website....but sometimes, you just have a confirmed seat and it gets assigned at the airport. Sorry to hear about your problems.

PAinNY likes this.
  3. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I made the seat assisgnments with AA.com in Jan and on Friday (3/18), the lady confirmed the same seats and I have a copy of her email she sent to my email address minutes after our conversation. Now they can't make any changes and also the original seats assigned had power ports and I was able to sit with my family. Now the seats availability is only at the back for all 3 of us.

I am disliking AA recently for their poor CSR service. I am not sure how it happened but I must say from this should have happened after I called. Oh man, I am pushed over 17 rows now. I was a AA Gold until February and didn't enjoy the status with them, so switched my business to United. I am not going to give my business to these crappy service.

4. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the CSR's manager, she said Iberia can't take the preferred seats (which I originally had) for the ticket I bought, hence they cancelled my seat assignment and now the only way is to go to the airport before check in and get the seats assigned. hate it!

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This explains a lot about why you are not able to get preferred seats now.