Seat alert questions?

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by cockpitvisit, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Edit: the seat alert email arrived shortly after I made this post. I was just too impatient [​IMG]

I created a seat alert for a specific Lufthansa flight 3 days ago. I requested and immediately got a test alert email, to make sure the email was working.

Today I checked the seatmap on the flight, and one of my requested seats was available. I never got an alert email though. When I go to View Saved Alerts, my seat alert is just listed as "pending". If I click on "Quick Check", a message appears stating that "Availability was found" for my alert. But still no specific seats are shown and I still get no email. Nothing in my spam folder either.

I am not quite happy, since I expected the alert to work and didn't check the seatmap daily. So I have a few questions:

1) Are seat alerts indeed automatically checked, and how often does this happen?

2) Does "Quick Check" work exactly in the same way as the automated check?

3) What happens once a seat has been found? Will ExpertFlyer continue notifying me if more seats become available that match my request?

4) Would it be possible to have a link next to the saved seat alert called "Show the current seatmap"? Right now, I have to type all the information again.

Thanks!

2. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    1) Both Seat and Flight Alerts are automatic and checked several times a day, more so closer to the flight departure. If the Quick Check says it found seats, then the next time the alert is scheduled to be checked you will then receive an email with the exact seats that it found that satisfies the search criteria. 3) Also the alert will change from Pending to Notified and will stop checking unless you click on the Resubmit button for the alert.

2) Quick Check works the same way as an actual check. On the bottom of the View Saved Alerts page it states: "Quick Check" does not change the status of a pending Alert. Instead it gives you the ability to quickly check for availability.

4) Interesting idea, we'll add it to the wish list.

Update: We see that the alert was checked and you were notified via email at 12:45pm Eastern time, about 1 hr and 45 min after your original post.

3. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the seat alert, thanks!

4. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how many times a day the alert checking runs? I've found them very effective but I'm curious.

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Flight and Seat Alerts are checked several times a day at a minimum and more frequently the closer it gets to the departure of the flight.

6. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It sounds like the timings are not public knowledge which I guess is understandable.

7. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    on delta seat alerts, i would recommend that you add a check at about 6pm on the last 6 days before the flight. delta runs their domestic medallion upgrade sweeps starting at about 5pm daily. knowing this, i checked my reservation at 5:30p on the 16th for a flight on the 22nd, and grabbed a better seat. at 8:52pm, i finally received the seat alert:

Seats: Any Window Seat, Any Aisle Seat
    Found: 18C, 19A, 21F, 22D, 22F, 30D, 33C, 34C

(the medallion upgrade windows can throw a lot of good seats in a hurry..)

8. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seat alert worked great this week for a CO flight I had. Thanks EF!

-RM

9. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    You're welcome, glad we could help.