Seat advice on 747-400 NRT-SFO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bhatnasx, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I'm flying NRT-SFO - in coach. And most of the seats are taken - literally no aisle or window seats available - only middle seats (both in seatmap & over the phone). I'm going to keep checking back in hopes that someone with a good seat has an upgrade clear or something. I'm a 1k, so I'm eligible for E+.

Looking at the seatmap of my plane - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_B.php - am I better off in 33B or 33J OR 45B or 45J. 21E & some other E+ "E" and "F" middle seats are open as well.

45B/J are green on SeatGuru - 33B/J are yellow - but the descriptions are essentially the same.

I'm 6"1' if that makes any difference. I really want an aisle seat.

Any suggestions to get an E+ aisle would be appreciated!

2. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Ok you are up a creek here. With no other options available, I think
    I would take 45B. My logic is as follows:

- hate the double middle E+ of the 20's rows, no exit row legroom
    - hate the 33 exit row options by lav. Sounds and smells. This is why its yellow on seat guru.
    - best of evils at least with legroom is 45B. It is by the galley but on the short door side, you still have exit legroom, but must deal with the middle seat....but it looks like you'd be dealing with a middle seat no matter what. Take this quietest exit row middle possible.

Plan B: wrangle an upgrade somehow! :)
    Plan C: like you said, keep checking and hope something opens.
    Plan D: bring some drink chits or red carpet pass or something on board and at boarding maybe someone would trade for the exit from an E+ aisle. Make sure they are an able adult or the FA will check and make you trade back!

Good luck

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been there, on a longer flight. No fun AT ALL!

I agree with the advise above, and would also check with the gate agent, just in case.

Jslo likes this.
  4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done 45B on shorter flights. Usually I wind up hanging out with the crew in the galley adjacent to the seat. Not horrible, and scored a number of complimentary adult beverages in the process to make the flight go by a bit quicker. :D

Jslo likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just last week, I avoided the 747 on SFO-NRT by routing myself via LAX. And while I thought I would get a decent E+ seat in that new 777 configuration that was originally scheduled for that day/route, UA ended up swapping in an old config 777 and bumped me to C due to economy being oversold.

That said, and assuming you can't go via LAX to get the 777, I'd definitely frequently check for seats opening up when folks have their upgrades cleared. Some of the same folks who are waitlisted for upgrades are probably also the ones who snagged the good coach seats. I know I have often enough been upgraded out of 17AB on the 777 (e.g, last week), freeing up a good seat for someone else (I sometimes felt like going back to my original seat during the flight and giving the person in that seat the opportunity to thank me, but somehow resisted :D )

Jslo likes this.
  6. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to me on a trip to NRT earlier this month -was on an ITPE 777 from LAX to NRT -flew over in E+ (BTW - Two thumbs up for the new Econ.seats where the bottom seat pan slides forward a bit.) On the return, there was a aircraft swap to the non-ITPE 777 - printed out my BP at the hotel and was worried when I saw the GA's checking everyone in and then putting them in a new queue to receive their new seating assignments. I was thinking that I would in up in the middle 3rd of the middle 5 seats but the got the Op-up to C instead. Thank you upgrade gods!

7. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the routing is through SFO & I can't change anything...also, it's CO coded (UA coded was just more expensive!), so I can't even use my CR-1 on the PS JFK-SFO flight :(

Persistancy worked & I'm now in 25H, so an E+ aisle - SeatGuru still gives a bathroom proximity warning, but it's E+ & it's an aisle, so better than a middle exit row, I think. Will keep looking for a new seat as it gets closer to check-in (I leave Friday AM, so not holding my breath)