Searching Intra-South America Lan Award Space

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sharris503, Apr 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any good tips to search for award space on LAN for flights within South America? I'm planning a trip to South America and my usual one world go to search engine, Qantas, does not seem to have any South American cities in their "from" box. Is BA.com my only option? I've also been thinking I may sign up for expert flyer when it comes close to booking the flights and take advantage of the free trial.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BA site is decent for LAN availability. I've played around with the QF site to force it to do the searches and even when BA is showing seats QF didn't.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you call "decent" there has been many reports that the BA site has been unable to see LAN inventory off and on and this has been on going on well over a year.

How about try the LAN site itself?

4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've played around with that before but it's not clear to me what level is the "saver" level that would be available to partners.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should say that I've had good luck with it when I needed it. No promises for future functionality. ;)

newbluesea likes this.
  6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem I'm having with BA is that it does not seem to show availability until close to departure. For planning reasons waiting until last minute is not going to work for us. I was hoping something out there showed award space in a bigger window of time.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out and what routes are you looking for?
    I put a few random dates in early August on ba.com and was able to find coach awards (I only checked that class and date range) for LIM/SCL return and SCL/EZE return

8. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    June 2014, which I know is not available yet. I've been looking at stuff to get a feel for what routes look like, can I find award space on certain routes, etc... I'm looking at GRU to EZE, EZE to CUZ, and CUZ to LIM. We are flying open jaw into GRU and out of LIM. We are booking PDX to GRU and LIM to PDX 11 months out. I would like to book the intra-south american stuff that early if possible.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand the security of knowing that you have the flights locked in early.... but June 2014 may be a bit too far out I get the impression that LAN does not load awards at least those available to OW partners anything that far out.

The last time I booked LAN awards on ba.com, using ba miles (this was before Avios) I was able to quite easily get business class awards for EZE/SCL, SCL/LIM and LIM/CUZ (there is only Y on this leg) about 5 months out.

Another thought would be to call AA if you have miles with them and see if they can see awards for your dates.

10. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured I was most likely looking at 5-6 months out which would be ok.